Sign in to follow this  

2010 crf250r easy to hard start over night

Help, my bike went from a 2-3 easy kick start every time bike to a 100+ kick PITA over night. I can not for the life of me figure out what changed. Fresh fuel, clean air filter and good spark. This is 2nd ride that I've struggled with it. The first time I noticed it the bike would kickoff just fine after it was warm. Now its hard to start and semi problematic when warm. Time for valve shims or a valve job? Why the sudden change?

One of my intake valves is closed, can't even get my smallest feeler (.0015) in there. The shim measures 1.76 by my cheapo calipers. Will I have any luck swapping it out, if so what size? 1.725? I'm not sure how to calculate the shim since I can't get the gauge in there. The rest are in spec

L/R

E .012 / .011

I .005 / ???

Edited by uuc328

There is a spreadsheet on crfsonly.com that will calculate this for you. If it's that tight though it might take a couple stabs to get it right. You likely have plenty of room to go though since the thinnest shim is 1.2.

Thanks mdwsr! That is very reassuring to hear. Going to try and pick up parts tomorrow. While I was in there I decide to change the spark plug and fuel filter. When I took out the pump there was a small mesh just sitting in the pump assembly. What is it and where does it go? Cant find it in the parts diagram.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qPabQjQyASMYJWObGm3yRdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Edited by uuc328

First valve adjustment is complete! Went down to 1.60 from 1.75 on just one valve. It wasnt too bad of a job, im glad i gave it a shot.