Sign in to follow this  

Engine died - help diagnose

Took a nice dusk ride today, outside temp is about 70 degrees. I rode for about 20-30 minutes, maybe 30 miles problem free. Upon returning home i hit some very slow stop and go traffic.

Whether clutched in or in neutral, the bike began to rev a little higher. Nothing crazy but I could notice it with a helmet on and music playing. Then she quit. Tried to start up right away..nothing...just kept turning over.

Let it sit about 5 minutes while I looked it over, then it started up and sounded normal.

About 2 blocks later it went through the same routine, elevated RPM and then kill.

I pushed it into a ramp and went to get my truck. About 45 minutes later I returned - tried to start it up, it ran for about 5 seconds and killed.

I'm only 96 miles into the tank of gas on the stock tank. I thought I heard some sloshing around but it was too loud to really tell.

Any ideas? It's an 08 with average miles. I've only had it for about 4 months - I'm a mechanical neanderthal so I need all the help I can get.

Edited by GeologyRocks

Does it run better with the petcock on reserve?

I think you're just low on gas :)

If you have the vacuum petcock , make sure the hose for it is OK and not perished , like mine was . Your symptoms sound a lot like mine when my vacuum hose decided to go , and it took me 5 months to find out what was wrong , greg

My DRZ did this when my clutch cable was un-adjusting itself, the rod screw adjuster thingy had come loose. Same symptoms - hi revs then died.. 

Retweaked the cable and then all good...