Sign in to follow this  

IMS 3.2 Shrouds fit poor

I have a 2012 450x that has devol radiator guards on it.  I purchased a IMS 3.2 and just put it on and the shrouds are fitting like complete garbage.  Has anyone else had this problem with this combo? I belive the guards are pushing it off a little since they mount the shrounds slightly back from stock.  I have a 05 that has this same set up on it and it fits perfect.

My left side top flares out about 1/2" at the end of the tank.  The right side is a 1"+,  its really out there, when i sit on it now and go from sitting to standing its causing me to catch the edge with my knee.  I also had to trim off the top point above the top mounting bolt because it wouldnt fit in the indentation of the tank even with removing the other bolts so it would fit more normal.  Any help appreciated.

I have a 2012 450x that has devol radiator guards on it.  I purchased a IMS 3.2 and just put it on and the shrouds are fitting like complete garbage.  Has anyone else had this problem with this combo? I belive the guards are pushing it off a little since they mount the shrounds slightly back from stock.  I have a 05 that has this same set up on it and it fits perfect.

My left side top flares out about 1/2" at the end of the tank.  The right side is a 1"+,  its really out there, when i sit on it now and go from sitting to standing its causing me to catch the edge with my knee.  I also had to trim off the top point above the top mounting bolt because it wouldnt fit in the indentation of the tank even with removing the other bolts so it would fit more normal.  Any help appreciated.

Just for a goof , i'd pop a shroud off the 05 and see if it fits better

I had the same problem with my 2012, I even called IMS and told them of the problem and they sent me another tank that had the same issue. So I ended up just getting some 07 shrouds from Ebay that fit better. I also had an 06 that the same tank fit perfectly on...

Just for a goof , i'd pop a shroud off the 05 and see if it fits better

Sorry that was a typo its a 07, i might try that but i was looking at the tanks side by side and the old one is nice and smooth with no visable seams. The new one looks like crap. There is a massive jagged edged seam all the way around the top of the tank. Did they start making them in china recently or is That how they have been for a while. I will post a picture in a little bit of the shroud.

Hmm. I have the ims 3.2 in black on my 2012 and it fit with 0 issues. I did use some shorai foam on the frame to keep it off the valve cover. But I did not have any shroud issues.

You might have to leave the bottom bolt out on each shroud, that's what I did.

Installed the IMS 3.2 on my 2013 a short while ago. It was not perfect, but was close enough that it wasn't an issue. Seems odd that there would be that much difference between different bikes/tanks. Mine was very well finished. Possible QC issues at IMS?

Installed the IMS 3.2 on my 2013 a short while ago. It was not perfect, but was close enough that it wasn't an issue. Seems odd that there would be that much difference between different bikes/tanks. Mine was very well finished. Possible QC issues at IMS?

I believe that the frame geometry is different on the 2012 than the older models. Even the tech at IMS said that they did not test fit the newer tanks on a 2012 but only made the changes to the shroud cutouts... :jawdrop: Hence the reason they were more than willing to send me another tank right away. :thumbsup:

Edited by crazybrother

As far as the OEM part numbers reflect, 08 to 14 all get the same fuel tank part and have the same frame. I don't believe the frames are different at all. As far as the fuel tank and plastics go, they should all fit the same.

FWIW... The shrouds on my 05 don't fit my new IMS 3.2 worth a darn either.  I blame poor QC on IMS.  At the end of the day though, it's a dirt bike, and if my shrouds not fitting the best are the biggest of my worries, I'm in pretty good shape :)

From what i got by talking to IMS , since the 08 up shrouds are slightly different , they made the tank mounts "close" to both the 05-08 and 09-12  , i got a "newer Style" 3.2 from them for my 06 , and it does not line up as good as with the stock 2.3 tank   , so my conclusion from what i was told , is it was more cost effective for them to make 1 tank that sort of fits all years instead of making a direct fit tank for each year of shroud changes , since the changes were slight and not worth the setup costs for the slight change in insert position

From what i got by talking to IMS , since the 08 up shrouds are slightly different , they made the tank mounts "close" to both the 05-08 and 09-12 , i got a "newer Style" 3.2 from them for my 06 , and it does not line up as good as with the stock 2.3 tank , so my conclusion from what i was told , is it was more cost effective for them to make 1 tank that sort of fits all years instead of making a direct fit tank for each year of shroud changes , since the changes were slight and not worth the setup costs for the slight change in insert position

When did this guy get back in town???