Sign in to follow this  

Hands hurting

So im new to riding on tracks and im getting the hang of it pretty good but my biggest problem right now is i cant ride much longer than 5-10 minutes at a time because my hands get sore.  Its not armpump, and its not my fingers, its just straight up pain/cramping in the palms of my hand.  I come from downhill mountain biking so I know all about arm pump and sore fingers and the dreaded claw but its none of those.  Plus with mountain biking that goes away once you get into riding shape and i have ridden a fair bit and its doesnt seem to be getting any better on the dirtbike.  Is it just straight up im holding on to tight?  Im well aware its most likely this so i try to make an effort to squeeze with my legs that much more and loosen with my hands but I think once i get riding and focused I hold on harder like normal.  I just cant wrap my head around loosening my grip.  Anyone got any tips or help with this?

Maybe grips? Sometimes it's that simple. Practice doing 2-3 laps every time you go to the track standing up, no sitting at all. Helps with leg gripping. Grip with ankles and knees but don't over grip with knees, want to unlock your hips

I would say that you are holding on to tight with your arms. Try gripping the bike with your legs more and just being more loose with your arms and core and you would be surprised how much longer you can ride. Also I massage the hell out of my forearms for about 5 minutes as hard as I can stand before my first practice and found out that I could go much longer at a race pace than before. Hope this helps

also is it normal to have a finger over the front brake all the time? Its my throttle hand that gets more sore and i always have my finger over the front brake as kinda a safety for whiskeying by accident if you know what i mean, giving my hand hand something else to brace off of.  Ive been looking at pics of the pros and noticed that they dont do this so maybe thats part of it too? One of the other habbits ive brought over from mountain biking

I have the same problem. Normally on my throttle hand. When I start feeling it tighten, it's a reminder to squeeze with the legs tighter and loosen the arms. One huge thing that I've just found recently too, is glove size. Literally figured this out yesterday haha. Went for a quick(30min) rip around my property kind of last minute. My boots and helmet we're laying out and didn't feel like digging through my gear bag to grab a pair of gloves, so I grabbed a pair of mechanix gloves I had laying on top of one of my cars in the shop. Night and day!!! My riding gloves are waaaaaaay too tight! After 15 min I was wondering what I did different(I played with my suspension a bit too) because my hands weren't cramping up. Looped around to the shop, grabbed my riding gloves and within about five minutes my hands were hurting. Traded back for the bigger gloves and it went away. Like mentioned above, it might be something simple like gloves or grips, to try out along with relaxing the arms a bit.

When I first started out this was my #1 issue. I would do maybe 10 laps and by that time my hands were junk. I would even get massive blisters under my fingers. 

I hate to beat a dead horse but as everyone above has said grip with your legs. I learned by basically squeezing my knees into the shrouds and holding it there, after a while it became habit.

It might also be your grips/gloves. Like the guy above said glove size might be too large, I used to wear XL gloves since my fingers are freakishly long, but I decided to buy a pair of L gloves and wow what a difference.

Are your grips firm or soft compound? Diamond, waffle, or half waffle? Try different grip styles and see which is most comfortable for you. I used to have renthal full waffles and my hands would wear out instantly, but I switched to a smoother, diamond grip and whala! No blisters/cramps

Edited by crfcryzyzfltz

I have been using soft grips for a while (spider) and my hands have been cramping up also.  Like you, not arm pump, but hand cramping.  I just bought some Renthal Kevlars and will be trying those.  I think maybe the soft grips make me grab a bit harder since I can feel the grip compress in my hands.

I have this as well. The palms and thumbs ache so bad after a lap or two that I have to stop because I just cant hang on.

Usually after a few breaks it gets better if I force myself to keep riding so by the end of the day it feels fine.

No gloves or big gloves its all the same.

Sometimes I end up getting pins and needles or numb thumbs for a bit as well.

I have this as well. The palms and thumbs ache so bad after a lap or two that I have to stop because I just cant hang on.

Usually after a few breaks it gets better if I force myself to keep riding so by the end of the day it feels fine.

No gloves or big gloves its all the same.

Sometimes I end up getting pins and needles or numb thumbs for a bit as well.

How bad is the vibration through the bars on your bike? Sounds like a nasty circulation problem, not just typical arm pump. How tight are the cuffs on your jersey? Are you laying off the caffeine before/during your ride? Do you have any back or shoulder problems?

I've been working on slow figure 8s trying to only steer with my pegs. Keeping the arms loose and barely holding on to the bars while holding on to the bike with my legs. It's been helping with my hands/arms as well as bike control on tight single track where the bars are being smacked around by trees haha.

How bad is the vibration through the bars on your bike? Sounds like a nasty circulation problem, not just typical arm pump. How tight are the cuffs on your jersey? Are you laying off the caffeine before/during your ride? Do you have any back or shoulder problems?

I've been working on slow figure 8s trying to only steer with my pegs. Keeping the arms loose and barely holding on to the bars while holding on to the bike with my legs. It's been helping with my hands/arms as well as bike control on tight single track where the bars are being smacked around by trees haha.

I have to give up coffee! Na eh. But I don’t carry round a sipper cup during the ride though.

I have no major shoulder or back problems, cuffs lose as and forks setup pretty well but I am not a great rider and spend the first 10 - 15 minutes ecstatically terrified, holding onto the bars like grip death.

We worked out recently and I have spent less than 25 hours total riding time ever including maybe 20% of that on the mud-bug.

At the moment its mid winter and the track is pretty muddy and can be under water and un-rideable for weeks at a time so I am not getting to practice. I will definitely try the techniques you described thanks but I am also am quite unfit so after a good ride I can be walking like ‘special folk’ for up to 4 or 5 days.

Probably a combination of 4 issues

Poor technique, bit overweight, quite tall and over 40 but got to start somewhere at some time eh J