Sign in to follow this  

MRD SSW decision

They say you lose some bottom end by going with a shorty.

So just tune it to suit, I did.

Berjo , I was going to do the same as you untill I found out the SM had the smaller header . Unfortunately MRD wasnt up and running yet , so I bought a barrett and am very happy with it . But the shorty muffler does look good , the only reason I wouldnt go back is the fact that the std muffler weighs so much . the barrett is about as light as just the std header ( probably not really :smirk: ) greg

I modded the sm muffler with the sm header, but my e shorty has an e header, once you chop 1/2 the muffler off its a fair bit lighter. Also the power gain overall with a brand name exhaust that can cost over $500 + delivery is hardley noticeable just louder. All the power comes from a carb change to FCR or re jetting your cv carb. I think the MRD SSW isa fantastic pipe for a highly modded race bike but to big a pipe for a stock engine on the street. It's pretty much straight out the head, the header pipe is thick as, just barely fits in some spots. How much flow do you need on a glorified farm bike? Anyway its your cash do what you want, my mate who has cash pouring out of his pockets has a highly modded motor with all brand name products which is fantastic, but I can't see a huge difference for all the money he's spent.

Edited by berjo

I got the faring thru Wheeling Cycle Supply. Forrest the guy that owns Wheeling is great to deal with they do a UFO kit or Suzuki genuine.

Dont know about loss of bottom end with shorty. I had dave make me up this 10inch can .....best money i have spent. His product and services were more then 10star.... Like i said i dont feel that i have lost anything downstairs. Maybe i just tune it out

1402508444844.jpg

Great pipe, its awesome but its way way too loud, getting too much attention, might have to revert back to the Cycleworks big bore header with the RMZ muffler for road use I think, its quite a bit quieter, the steel header is huge and should be able to serve the 462 for my purposes, 55 horsepower is a long way off in terms of spending for me and the bike is awesome with the power it has, so I may have an MRD SSW for sale in the near future, but if want to buy one go for it but get the insert and the brackets for the heat shield, you simply wont get a better pipe for any future mods you want to do.

I bit the bullet & ordered 1 last week   :banana:  can't wait to get it & get it on the bike. I ordered with heat sheild tabs & quiet insert so I can decide if & when I want to use insert coz I like that I can do that with current E exhaust either run it open or put the stock baffle in for when i wanna be quiet it comes in handy, though i dont think the mrd even with the insert is gonna anywhere near as queit :smirk:

How much different is it with or without the queit insert has any1 else do it both that can tell me??

• Like 2

It should be noted all the compaints or statements about the MRD Z-Pro(ssw) noise level is with the "Open" exhaust tip. Open it makes the most HP and flow. With the MRD "Quiet Core" and "Spark Arrestor" installed it is like 96db. 7 more db than stock. 2 more db than a FMF PB/Q4 combo. It still flows and works very well and better than most other exhaust systems. With the QC/SA installed it is still beefy sounding. The main gain is from the header pipe and size of the whole pipe back. An E header pipe is better than S/SM oem header. And the MRD is better still for full performance. Yes any pipe/system you buy is more cost. MRD is a really great system for the money which is less than Yoshi or FMF. Other systems and their performance success is unknown to me. For one I am very happy with my standard sized can MRD system. I even bought mine used and restored it and got the QC/SA and heat shield mounts and some stickers from Dave at MRD. Super cool peeps there and very helpful.

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott

Dont know about loss of bottom end with shorty. I had dave make me up this 10inch can .....best money i have spent. His product and services were more then 10star.... Like i said i dont feel that i have lost anything downstairs. Maybe i just tune it out

A shorty is a 12'',  not 10,  compared to the stock 14. 

• Like 1

Yeah i did write 10 good call .guess i was running with my choke on lmao

• Like 2

Note cheap way of quieting down SSW pipe, saw the three bolt flange bit off the end cap of the bikes original muffler, make sure you remove the steel sleeve, drill a few small holes in the blank end just to free it up a bit, fits snuggly inside the SSW muffler, work some sort of bolt arrangement to hold it in, bloody shit load quieter, the huge core of the muffler means the gases can still get through the spark gauze at the sides, a few wee holes reduces the back pressure, sweet, all for nothing, take the bastard out when you want to haul, put it in when you commute, sweet, might keep the pipe now.

I love my MRD/SSW sound is amazing....is just pure fun. I am very happy with the power and performance. Topped off with a set of stage 1 hot cams and big bore set....life is good.

• Like 5

I love my MRD/SSW sound is amazing....is just pure fun. I am very happy with the power and performance. Topped off with a set of stage 1 hot cams and big bore set....life is good.

Thats what I'm lookin forward to, its just another addition to a never endin line of upgrades but this is a big shiny (coz I'm gonna polish it) cool lookin & soundin 1  :D

• Like 2