Sign in to follow this  

What am I doing wrong?

What's up? I just bought a DRZ about 2 or 3 months ago... DRZ 400 duel sport. A month ago I bought a Yamaha 250f... We have a lot of canals around here so that's really the most interesting thing to climb unless you take a 3 hour drive to the desert or something. 

It's good practice too... anyway... I can go into the canals and go up and down the walls down the canals no problem. Climbing back out is a problem though. On the 400, the bike always slides out sideways when I climb out. Sometimes I can save it and it wobbles but... I can not climb out smoothly to save my life... On the 250f... it's a easier to save and I've never laid it over climbing out of the canals with that but I still have the same wobbles it's just... well it's a 100lbs lighter and easier to get back under control I guess....

How should I be exiting a steep incline onto a flat surface? I usually come out at a good angle. Sometimes it seems I went at too much of an angle so the ledge falls apart at the top as the bike tries to climb out, back end slides and I eat it. I can avoid doing that now but the tail end still slides everywhere or out from under me. Should I speed up as I approach the edge or should I let off the throttle? Bike always ends up in same position when I fall... If I'm going south, I climb out at a 45 degree angle or so, I tend to speed up I think, front wheel is out, back wheel slides, bike is out of canal on it's side with handle bars facing north so back end always totally slides around. If I make it with the DRZ, I just BARELY make it as tail end goes crazy... 250f I always make out and never lay over but it wobbles like the DRZ too just not as bad and I can always save it but still I must not be doing something right as I can never get out smoothly.

I know it's hard to tell without see what I'm doing but... I dunno thought someone here could help. I'll have to watch a riding buddy do it sometime but I wanna take the bike out again tomorrow and try again so I'm kind of impatient. I'm really knew to riding, never rode before I picked these bikes up and I'm having a blast on them but I get frustrated laying it over a lot.

Have you set your rear suspension sag on both bikes?

Your weight distribution on the bike is important. Learn to weight the downhill footpeg, especially for climbing up an incline at a 45*.

Like Jeff said, momentum is important too, but so is finesse and throttle control. The type of ground you're on determines technique.

A smooth line directly uphill is often easier than trying to climb at a 45*. Start the climb with as much momentum as you can muster towards the bottom, because as you get near the top, you lose some, and too much throttle trying to maintain it will cause wheelspin on loose terrain. When that happens, you have to be good with body english to keep the rear tracking and under control.

It's best to reach the top having the momentum to carry you over, often causing you to catch a little air.

On loose terrain, climbing out at a 45*, takes proper weight distribution, throttle finesse and good line choice.

Just takes practice and knowing your bike and how its going to handle.

No I haven't done that... the rear suspension sag. I honestly don't even know what that is but I'll ask my buddy about it... I will try to weight the down hill foot peg, that makes sense since when I'm coming up I tend to brace for the top and lean on the up hill one... When I'm going back into the canal going up and down the walls, I can buzz the ledge no problem getting up there and I do put the weight on the down hill cause I know I'm going back into the canal. When I climb out, I pull the other way putting weight on the up hill cause I feel I have to turn out to climb out at the top so thats probably one problem right there.

I will try that thanks =) I think I may give it too much throttle right at the top even though the bike should make it no problem, just in my head it's like... ok ya gotta get out now and I give it a little extra at the top... but as well as I climb the walls and buzz the top edge, it really doesn't need it so I think I should lay off throttle at top and just trust bike will climb out on it's own momentum.

I will try it out again today and see how I do...  figure out that suspension thing too... I'm a real light guy and both guys I bought the bikes from were on the heavy side so they're probably set up for a much heavier weight.

Momentum is your friend. And if that doesnt work, you can always have your girlfriend ride it out for you.

....that's some funny chit right there...+25 points on your man card. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Offroading on a dirtbike is taking me a while to get used to, especially after coming from offroading in a 4x4. On a 4x4, you go slow, pick the highest part of the obstacle, and try to transition up steep slopes diagonally. On two wheels, keep your speed up, stay in the "low spot" so you don't start crabbing, and keep that momentum. Most of my spills I can attribute to losing momentum and just falling over sideways.