Sign in to follow this  

Popping during deceleration

Hey guys I just got a 2011 yz250f and on my first ride noticed a fair amount of popping went I let of the throttle. what do you think? I dont know much about bikes so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Check #28 in the FAQs above.  Sounds normal to some degree.

A good carb cleaning is a good place to start with a "new to me" bike no matter what the po has told you.  This lets you know how it's setup as well.  Good luck.

Hey guys I just got a 2011 yz250f and on my first ride noticed a fair amount of popping went I let of the throttle. what do you think? I dont know much about bikes so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Some popping is normal, (it's a race motor). If you think it's excessive then have your valve clearances checked. If the motor was beat to crap then your valves might need to be adjusted with shims. Check that out as well :)

{Only The Best}

I had the same problem on my 2006 WR250F because the previous owner put an FMF Power Core 4 on it.  After a lot of help on here I ended up needing to put a #45 pilot jet in (had a stock #42) and adjust the fuel screw 2.75 turns out. You can try adjusting the fuel screw first to see if that by itself will do it.

Most often popping is related to the bike running to lean. I had the same problem with my 2011 yz250f. after installing fmf mega bomb and 4.1 rct tip it demanded more fuel. I went from a #45 pilot jet to a #50 it stopped ( previous owner installed larger jets but neglected the pilot for some reason) although very cheap if u cant afford to order parts u can adjust your needle jet clip to richen as well or turn out your fuel screw to allow more fuel to be sent through the carb. All in all too small of a pilot was my issue same may go for your bike.

To the last two, right, but from what I have always seen, SOME popping on decel is actually about spot on jetting "typically" for a yz...its if it becomes excessive it becomes a problem. And the WR, well it has an air cut valve that the YZ doesnt have, so they are not the same.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF