Sign in to follow this  

fork rebuild problem

I'am having problem bleeding the inner tube on the forks of a 2011 250 sx-f. As you can see in Jeff's video,

( from about 12min in)

When i stroke the spindle in it wont come back out all then way. Every time i stroke it, it will move less. If i pull on it, it feels like vacum, and will move back to about middle of the stroke.

I guess this is not normal, and wondering what i migh be doing wrong. I spend 10min + to try and bleed the tube before i screw the bladder on.

It sounds like the oil is leaking out , it will be the pop off valve near the base valve or the rod seal , did you have the mid apart ?

with the mid do you mean the shaft? i changed a small rubber seal at the bottom of the tube. took the shaft out (undoing the bottom nut) but didnt take it apart.

I'm confused , did you change the seal on the rod , the one you compress to bleed the inner chamber ? Anyway try again and look for oil coming out the bottom of the cart or out the blow off valve at the top , you get a bit of oil out the valve bit it should stop

i changed the seal that sit's on the tube not the shaft. when i stroke it, it shoot's out oil and air from the valve. at the bottom of the cat. i cant see any oil leaking but the shaft is allways oily, even after cleaned, but it's not much. So it might be valve thats gone? It hit me in the eye one time :rolleyes:

Comparing to the video when i stroke it, it come way more oil out

Jeff say's 2 bar. manual from a 2007 says 1.2 bar is the 2 bar right?

Edited by melfjord

Okey so now i did it all over but tried with only 1.2bar of pressure in the bladder, and it seemed to work fine. It went all they way out every stroke

2 bar is the upper end and the little poppet valve can struggle if it's old , the newer forks have a stiffer poppet spring to hold against the pressure