Sign in to follow this  

I left a paper towel in the engine

Yup, I did it.  I've done many top ends and this is a first for me.  I had a couple paper towels covering the crank.  I must have stuffed one down father than I realized and didn't notice it.  Put everything back together.  Bike ran fine.  Rode easy for about 30 min.  Came back to change the oil and noticed it was light in color.  Not truly milky, but close.  I took out the filter and noticed it had a weird material stuck in the folds.  Then it hit me right across the F'in face. :facepalm:  The paper towels I was using.  Now I would take this piece of information to the grave with me, but I don't want to take any chances.  What do I do now?  I will be taking it back apart, but are there some specific areas I should look at that could be blocking oil flow?

Since you found towel debris in your oil filter then you should tear it down and clean everything out. I don't believe there is an easy solution to your problem. I'm sure there have been others who did the same thing.

Damn dude... Def have to split the cases and go through everythinggggg. Remember oil flows through the middle of the crank. Make sure that's flowing good, blow it out with compressed air and hope it's clear I guess.. And all the passages. And next time use rages or a t-shirt

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

Like Diggla said, the carbonized end of the crank has an oil psaage that feeds oil to the crank through the oil jet in the right side case. You need to be 100% sure that is not obstructed, along with everything else.

Thanks guys.  That's what I figured but didn't want to admit to myself.  I'm sure I'll laugh about it one day...one day. 

• Like 1

Lol I can only imagine. Your going to have to spend a lot if time in those bearings also.. Little pieces can be hidden on the other side where you can't really see and come out later. I guess I'd find some solution to keep pouring in them and blowing out over and over and.. Well you get it. Goodluck man

Oh man what a bummer. Reminds me of the time I dropped a circlip down into mine. And I knew I should have known to stuff that hole with a rag beforehand.

that circlip was destined for bottom of case. had you have stuffed a rag in it the circlip would have landed between case and rag. you would have carefully removed the rag but the circlip, loving gravity as it does, would have fallen to bottom of cases. :D

Never move the rag until you have the clip back, magnet worked for me.  And if done right the rag is more of an umbrella than stuffed in the hole anyway, learned that "almost" the hard way LOL...

But as for the paper towel, if you didn't have flow for 30 minutes your probably going to be looking for damage and hot signs while verifying all the passages are clear..

When i dropped a circlip in the case i just put my bike on its handle bars and seat like when you put a chain in a bicycle as a kid, dropped right out onto my garage floor........ seems like a relatively easy fix to what's normally a headache with a magnet and a flashlight

just a thought but what about dumping the oil and loading it with tranny oil and let it sit a bit as tranny oil is a high detergent oil. possibly run it a bit with the tranny oil to let it work, I don't mean rev it high or long just a flush?  would wet paper towel be abrasive?

just a thought but what about dumping the oil and loading it with tranny oil and let it sit a bit as tranny oil is a high detergent oil. possibly run it a bit with the tranny oil to let it work, I don't mean rev it high or long just a flush?  would wet paper towel be abrasive?

It only takes one obstructed oil passage to empty a bank account. Even if it worked for a while, remnants of that towel will be in there til rapture. It is not a risk worth taking.

Oh man what a bummer. Reminds me of the time I dropped a circlip down into mine. And I knew I should have known to stuff that hole with a rag beforehand.

i dropped mine into the tight side next to the crank,

i went fishing with wire for an hour and a half.  >:/ but i got it luckily

Edited by EnglertRacing

I had to split the cases to replace a destroyed 5th gear on my 09.

i had the motor back in the bike minus the cylinder, and head,

i was waiting on a piston i think

Little brother (20 years old)

had to grind a 1ft by 1ft piece of quarter inch plate into a bracket that ended up being 1"x1" for his mercedes with a ford 302 swapped in.

he crappily drapped a towel or two over the front of the bike and managed to get it in gear and spin the tire poking the rod through the tape..

before he decided to throurghly coat everything in the garrage with metal chips.

the vice was about 3ft from my bike :bonk:

I actually wanted to kill him

he bought me new gaskets, and helped me pull it out, clean it and put it back togeather.

I'll start tearing it apart this week.  Can the oil screen be thoroughly cleaned, or should I just replace it?  Coming from 2 strokes, I didn't want to get this intimate with a 4 stroke engine this soon.lol

• Like 1

I'll start tearing it apart this week.  Can the oil screen be thoroughly cleaned, or should I just replace it?  Coming from 2 strokes, I didn't want to get this intimate with a 4 stroke engine this soon.lolOil scre

Oil Screen? Do you mean the oil filter?

Yeah you'll just have to fill the tube part with oil and blow it out. Shouldn't be hard and it only goes one way so don't think you'll have to worry about anything being in the tube section

CR14 - take your time and get organized. If you can do the top end then you'll be fine with the bottom end. Perhaps you can do the crank bearings, etc while you're in there. We're all pulling for you!

Take it all apart, blow it out with compressed air through all the oil passages, take the oil jet that squirts the piston/wrist pin out and blow it out too. Make sure the oil passage in the cylinder that oils the head is also clear. In the manual is an oil schematic. Read it, learn it...understand it.

I once did a bottom end on an RM250. It needed done because the owner pulled the top end, then left it up against the back of the garage....for a year...uncovered....near a  sprinkler. When you fill the bottom end full of water and let it sit for a year...shit happens, and its not good shit either.

Im beginning to think there should be a background check to buy tools, just like buying a gun.

• Like 1