Looking for a good street legal kit

Like the title says, I'm looking for either the whole kit with speedo or maybe just the light kit.

I bought the bike recently (wr450) and it was never registered so I got away with registering it as a motorcycle for on Highway use. Now this is getting very difficult to get away with where I'm from so I figure I should put on a light kit at least.

I've seen the baja designs one. A little bit pricey for me.

I've also seen the tusk one but I've heard people complain about the cheap quality and signals falling off.

Anyone with other ideas for kits, or experience with the tusk kit?

Like the title says, I'm looking for either the whole kit with speedo or maybe just the light kit.

I bought the bike recently (wr450) and it was never registered so I got away with registering it as a motorcycle for on Highway use. Now this is getting very difficult to get away with where I'm from so I figure I should put on a light kit at least.

I've also seen the tusk one but I've heard people complain about the cheap quality and signals falling off.

After reading all of that I'm very interested in knowing more about where you are from.

So intense I'm throwing states around in my head and can't figure it out!

Tusk is good

• Like 1

I got the tusk kit that comes with everything except the headlight. It was just under 200 and included the wire harness battery and tail light assembly. Its a great kit, and we added a second battery and second mirror and charger. I think all said and done it was around 250 with the extras and shipping from rocky mtn atv.

The pieces all look great, harness is nice and easy to install. For the money its a good kit and super easy to install. We are running the headlight/tail light off the stock ktm harness, and the turn signals and horn off the battery.

• Like 1

Sicass racing.

Haha I'm not in any states. Up in Canada. They won't let you plate restricted use bikes anymore.

If they didn't come from factory dual sport your outta luck.

Apparently if you do a ton of work to it then get it inspected you can sometimes get away with it as a custom bike, but it's not easy.

I walked into the registry here they had a trainee working up front. I said I needed a plate and that it was street legal.

She looked it up and her computer said it wasn't street legal, but I insisted and I guess it's as easy as changing a code in their computer and bam, I now have a street legal wr. Just need some signal lights and stuff incase I get pulled over ?

I made my own kit, it cost more than the Tusk Kit. I'm gonna rip out the one I made and install the Tusk. Oh, and I didn't add a battery, spent hours cutting wire, soldering, taping wrapping, getting turn signals to work..etc. I'd buy the kit and if you loose turn signals, buy a new set of signals for $20 A PAIR.

You should be good with the signals that come with it. Rears are a flush mount and fronts are really compact. The mirror they send kinda sucks but hey what the hell did I expect. There's also a remote battery pack you can toss under your seat.

Haha I'm not in any states. Up in Canada. They won't let you plate restricted use bikes anymore.

If they didn't come from factory dual sport your outta luck.

Apparently if you do a ton of work to it then get it inspected you can sometimes get away with it as a custom bike, but it's not easy.

I walked into the registry here they had a trainee working up front. I said I needed a plate and that it was street legal.

She looked it up and her computer said it wasn't street legal, but I insisted and I guess it's as easy as changing a code in their computer and bam, I now have a street legal wr. Just need some signal lights and stuff incase I get pulled over ?

It varies by Province, a few still allow it.  Its very common and easy here still.  Be careful, depending where you are it could bite you in the @%& later if something happens, i.e. accident or registration renewal.

The rear blinkers of the tusk kit are sticky on back, they suck and will fall off, at least did for me at first.  I simply glued mine on and they've been on for a year now like that.  Hi/lo light switch worked with my stock headlight (CRF250x headlight has the three connection points necessary).  My tusk kit didn't come with a battery, I think you only get that when you order the kit specifically for bikes without a battery?

Edited by CySinyard
  • Like 2