Sign in to follow this  

Coming back to MX after 15 Years

Hi All,

In my younger years I raced 125 Intermediate. I gave it up when I was around 17 because I could not afford the injuries because of work. When I finished high school I started working full time, and I left for the military a year later. After leaving the military, life sort of happened, family, moving a few times, etc. I am now in my mid-thirties, purchased a new house with 15 acres and I am planning to build a track again, get my oldest son into it, and get back into racing again myself in the Vet class.

My dilemma is seeing as how I have not thrown a leg over a bike in 10+ years, and not having raced competetively for 15 years, I am not sure on the engine size. I am 6'3, 205lbs (currently). I want to stay with 2 strokes. I have been seriously considering a 09+ ktm 150sx. Although I know a 125-144(150cc) would be "enough" for a year or two getting back into the sport, I am wondering if I would miss not stepping up to a 250 for my weight. My thought between the YZ125 and SX150 is that the KTM's ergonimics would be better suited to my height (I think), and the 150 power would give a bit more for my weight. I also remember the last year or two before leaving MX, it was too a point where the 125cc often felt like a do or die committment to make jumps with short runs, however I also remember that they were a bike that you could relax on. You had to run them hard to keep them in the power, but I remember them being more forgiving.

I think with my maturity and my weight, a 250 (2 stroke) might be a better fit coming back into the sport. I have riden many 250's, but being so long ago, I cannot remember if I ever felt truly as comfortable pushing them to my limits and that they wouldnt get out from under me. I think it was preconceived notion, and as mentioned, I only ran 125 into the Intermediate class, and then was forced to give up the sport, for fear of injury (I was working concerete at the time).

I would be interested in hearing some thoughts from others on the subject.

Thanks guys.

This is my first season riding and I have already made the jump from a 250f to a 250 2t. 

I am 6'3 205lbs as well and ride an 05yz250. The bike is amazing. 

I vote for the 250 2t.

EDIT: To add some extra, my friends dad (who I rode with yesterday) is sort of in the same situation you are. He grew up riding and put it down for 20 years. He said it all came back very quick. He is now 54 and rides an 09 crf450 with ease.

Edited by Andrew13

Get a 250 two stroke, do some little thing to mellow it out until you get comfortable again. Or a KTM 200 is a happy medium. Get more into the enduro side of things too, motocross is only fun for a few hours...

• Like 2

I'm 5'8" and 190# and ride a '99 YZ 125 and it is a nice bike ,but if I were racing I'd want a 250 2-stroke. YZ or KTM. Who else makes a 250 2 stroke MX bike? I haven't checked lately.

I say a used 250f.

They are just as cheap usually. More mellow.

But you could always buy a second bike later, a 450.

I say a used 250f.

They are just as cheap usually. More mellow.

But you could always buy a second bike later, a 450.

+1

Or just go with 450 now. Quite honestly I think its easier to ride than 250 2t. I burn 4x more energy on a track with my 250 2t than my 450 4t Especially if over 200 lb's.