Sign in to follow this  

Gncc bike helpe

I have a 2005 yz250f and ride trails a lot was. Was wondering what I could do to set my bike up for a gncc race? Also how much would it cost to get suspension done for me? It has odi bars, unbreakable levers, pro taper grips, oversized radiators , hammerhead shifter and case saver, sun star and renthal sprockets, did chain dr.d exhaust and tag upper triple clamps. Tell me what you all think!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033770.086145.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033391.811561.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033420.674137.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033440.570284.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033469.389922.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401033489.661627.jpg

Hand guards, skid plate, radiator protection would be a good idea, make sure that exhaust passes sound checks (make sure the packing is fresh), 18" rear wheel would be nice but not a must have.

Cost of suspension is going to depend on its current condition and what is needed for your weight/skill/terrain. Talk to a reputable suspension tuner in your area to get an idea before pulling the trigger.

Depends on your budget. I would recommend an oversized tank and big bars. Just had the suspension done on my 450 by my local suspension shop. Springs and valves front and rear for harescrambles.$690

hard to tell from pics,but brake snake,check all bolts,spokes etc..maybe electrical tape on your bars instead of cable tie? may cut it.is the master link on the right way? couldnt tell.loc tite those new renthal sprocket bolts?go to dirt rider,you tube etc. all kinds of set up and wrenching videos.including safety wire(are your grips done?)weather-steve matthes has a pretty good water and mud how to video from twmx. there is also how to set sag. set your suspension for when the track gets rougher and you get tired. usually 2 hrs ? dont forget extra goggles,gloves,gas and water(camelbacks are a life saver).its endless really,lol. prepared wins.good luck and be safe.

Edited by bring the rain

I used loc tite and the master link is on the right way too. Is a oversized fuel tank mandatory to have? Why is a brake snake? Is there anything else necessary to have? Anyone know where I can go for hare scrambles? I live in Illinois kinda bySt. Louis

Pillow top grips

Guts Racing tall soft seat foam.  Stock seat gets hard after 30 miles.

The airbox has lower cutout with a wide open flap.  That will let a lot of water into the bottom and it splashes onto the airfilter. 

I used a cut up inner tube and pop rivited it to the hole in a way that would allow water out, but not so much air in.

I would also use some duct tape and cover over the top of the airbox about 2 widths, 4" or enough to cover the top of the filter.  That protects it from splash.  Also look at the sides where the tabs from the number plate plug in.  Water gets in there too.

Bar Risers get the bars closer and easier on your shoulders if you're a taller guy... easier to stand and stay standing.

Cut the bars to comfortable length.

You can stay with 19" rear, or switch out to 18".  I've used a wider 19" but prefer the narrower on the YZ.  I'd borrow a an 18 before I committed to see if I liked it.  There is a difference in the way they handle.

I'm not that big of a guy lol and it's true that stock seat sucks ass lol know where I could get another one? And I already have brand new pillow top grips on right now

Also not really too sure what you were saying about the air box

The big tank is not a necessity, but very common amongst woods riders. I personally don't have a problem stopping for a few seconds to gas. Although I'm just in it for the fun anymore, not the points at the end of the season. If you decide to do radiator protection/braces as a previous poster suggested (I agree), make sure they will work with your oversized radiators.

http://www.gutsracing.com/searchresults.asp?cat=2177

That's a link to Guts Racing for the seat foam.

On the airbox, when you look at it, it looks like its just open at the top.  Not so, there's hole everywhere!  Good for breathing but when you ride offroad, its too open and doesn't protect the foam filter.  Dirty water carries sand and dirt with it, and if injested will wreck your intake valves.  Now, you can't protect against dropping it into a deep hole, but you can protect against splash.

You will need to remove the rear subframe and take a look at the bottom of the airbox.

This is a pic from the web, but it shows 2 problems. 

1 The tire has ground away the mud flap behind the airbox which will allow a lot of dirt up next to the airbox.

2 The hold in the bottom of the airbox will allow dirt to directly splash up onto the airfilter.

I just pop rivited a rubber flap over that hole to protect the filter and left a little space for water to drain out.

04.JPG

Edited by ronbuell

You get just the foam.  You have to pull the staples, save your seat cover, or order a new one.  Remove the old one and install the new one and staple on the cover.  I use an air stapler since the plastic seat base is tough plastic and the hand staplers are weak... I don't have much luck with them.