Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF450X Road legal Make Over

I thought I'd post a few pics of my 2007 Road Legal CRF450X project

The star of the show is my virgin 2007 CRF450X. I picked it up for $3K on Craigslist. Still had the smog on it etc. Other toys include a similar vintage 450R and a Big Red Pig (XR650L) and a couple Aprilias (RS250 2 stroke). There's an RZ back there somewhere too.

IMG_8305_zps515aa6e8.jpg

So much for virgin status. Got a lot to do here. Want to open the airbox, install the JD Jet kit and Boyesen Accelerator Pump QuickShot and get rid of that smog crap so she can breathe as Soichiro intended.

IMG_8321_zps374337cb.jpg

I took the conservative approach and opened just the top of the airbox. Figured I could go back and open the side vents later.

IMG_8324_zpscf577002.jpg

Added a Q4 and a Megabomb. This is supposed to be the quiet approach - yeah right. Had to create this drop link to get the pipe to fit right. I live near FMF Racing. I may have to pay them a visit.

IMG_8329_zpsdc8fd3ae.jpg

Picture doesn't show much, but under the left cover is the new Ricky Stator, with the new regulator in the stock location. Also, can see the Enduro Engineering skid plate. I think they're all best of class stuff.

IMG_8361_zps595cf4f2.jpg

Lot going on in this picture. From the top: TrailTech Voyager (they were 20% off). I liked - Speedo, Tach, Temp, GPS etc. Pro Taper bars (Craigslist) which among other things help me see the gauges, Scotts Dampener (remember, '07 doesn't have one stock) with Sub mount. Turn signals, IMS tank and Tusk billet cap. There's Arc levers too and Acerbis Rally Guards that need to be added.IMG_8358_zpsc385c350.jpg

I went with the Acerbis light. It's DOT legal and looks closest to stock. I used the dual-sport harness kit from Pro-Cycle. This is the second one I've done (XR650R before). It's a good kit. I soldered as many connections as possible to prevent issues.

IMG_8342_zpsa6f13ce3.jpg

Cool it baby - Added a Spal 4" pull fan, and an SW524 fan switch. I wired in a relay to ease the load on the pricey switch. I was quite proud of my fan bracket. You have to drop the fan to clear the tank. My bracket is solid. Saber saw, drill and file (and taps). That's all I had.

IMG_8363_zps12485b93.jpg

So, my stock back rim was cracked and I needed DOT tires. I chose the SM Pro Platinum with matching hubs and stainless Bulldog spokes with black nipples just to mix it up a bit. I've wasted Excels so thought I'd try these. They make weight strength claims and the quality looks good. They've got a cool matte finish. No cheaper than A60s. Based on advice from here, I went with the Pirelli Scorpion tires. Real happy with the license plate mount (Acerbis). In addition to that brake/tail light, I swapped-out the stock light with a brake/tail and slid some bend-over speaker nuts to hold the plate mount so I didn't have to drill holes in the fender (clever). Cujo is ready to ride.

IMG_8355_zpse86e765b.jpg

I've got more to do and a little fine-tuning, but going to take her out and flog it on a shake down cruise. I'll give a report soon.

RZ Rob

Edited by RZRob

Looks good, I had the same issue with the FMF Mega-Bomb and Q4 too, tried three different pipes and they still would not fit. That was on my 2006.

nice job rob. give more detail on this...........

I swapped-out the stock light with a brake/tail and slid some bend-over speaker nuts to hold the plate mount so I didn't have to drill holes in the fender (clever).

nice job rob. give more detail on this...........

So I picked-up the LED brake/tail that fits in the stock spot. That little cutaway has room for those bend-over speaker nuts (think door panel on a car) I just used ones that were the same thread as the MotoLED taillight so that the taillight wouldn't have to handle the load of the plate holder. Then I got the Acerbis tail light/plate holder that comes with the ProCycle kit.The holes line up great. I just got longer bolts (4mm or 5mm I think) that screw into my speaker nuts and the MotoLED stock shape light. So far so good.

RZ Rob

dammit, pics bro! :excuseme::goofy:

Yeah I know...See if these help - without me taking it apart.

5F9B61DA-8D26-4BEE-8D1A-ABA48FDD58B9_zps

Here's the speaker nuts I was talking about. Note they're the same size as the ones in the light. I just slid these onto the shelf made into the back fender. This way the light doesn't have to shoulder the load of the license plate stuff.

23161193-FA11-4CE4-B282-9FF2E76CCA7B_zps

RZ Rob

• Like 1

Added a Q4 and a Megabomb. This is supposed to be the quiet approach - yeah right. Had to create this drop link to get the pipe to fit right. I live near FMF Racing. I may have to pay them a visit.

IMG_8329_zpsdc8fd3ae.jpg

Was the header loosely fitted & able to be rotated slightly when you fitted the muffler?

Was the header loosely fitted & able to be rotated slightly when you fitted the muffler?

Yeah, I tried all that. I've got FMF pipes on my 450R and 650L and they fit right,

RZ Rob