Sign in to follow this  

Crankshaft gears stop clutch basket from rotating

So i bought a bike off CL knowing it needed a clutch so i bought all the parts to change it, did it all and closed the bike back up only to notice the kickstarter wont move, took it apart and this is what i found, the two gears on the crankshaft align and then seperate as it rotates, any idea on what to do? This is my first bike, its an 87 rm 125. i have a clymers manual and it says nothing about my problem. The basket will spin if it is not all the pushed back to touch the other gear as pictured. Thanks

Could i just add another washer before putting the basket on to avoid contact with the second gear? i am not even sure what the rear gear does, please help.

20140525_102842.jpg

20140525_143001.jpg

20140525_150011.jpg

20140525_150033.jpg

20140525_150044.jpg

Edited by BigDogDeWald

So i bought a bike off CL knowing it needed a clutch so i bought all the parts to change it, did it all and closed the bike back up only to notice the kickstarter wont move, took it apart and this is what i found, the two gears on the crankshaft align and then seperate as it rotates, any idea on what to do? This is my first bike, its an 87 rm 125. i have a clymers manual and it says nothing about my problem. The basket will spin if it is not all the pushed back to touch the other gear as pictured. Thanks

Could i just add another washer before putting the basket on to avoid contact with the second gear? i am not even sure what the rear gear does, please help.

Sounds like the trueness of your crank could be off....or it may even be bent...  Right crankshaft bearing might be bad allowing radial movement of the crank end...

......or the clutch end of your transmission's main shaft could be bent....  Are you sure all the washers that go on the clutch have been correctly installed?

Have you had a chance to hear the bike run?

Edited by Fattonz

how can i check if it is bent? i tried removing that bolt with a wrench and screwdriver in the slot but nothing happens, it just spins both clockwise and counter clockwise

You have to find a way to dog it so it cannot move as you apply torque....maybe try applying some heat to the nut.  Do you have an air impact? 

There is a test you could do.  Position (and anchor if possible) a pencil or similar object radially, or tangentially to the crankshaft end so that the end of the pencil JUST makes contact with the end of a tooth on the primary drive gear.  Proceed to rotate the crank end and observe the relationship between the gear teeth and the end of the pencil.  As the crank rotates the relationship should remain constant.  If it does not then you will need to investigate further.  If it's good then move on to troubleshooting the mainshaft (the one your clutch basket is on)....set up for the same test then use the sprocket to rotate the mainshaft, again observing for relationship change :thumbsup:  

It really sounds like something might be bent and binding you up....assuming everything is correctly installed...

Did the previous owner mention if the bike locked up when the clutch failed?  If something piled up the force may have been sufficient to bend something.....

Sorry, not really what a guy wants to hear...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

It looks fine and just talked to previous owner and the only thing that broke was a tooth off the basket nothing else

It looks fine and just talked to previous owner and the only thing that broke was a tooth off the basket nothing else

Hmmmm....do you have a manual and/or parts diagram so you can verify everything is assembled in the correct fashion?

Have you tried grabbing the end of the crank and tried moving it up/down, left/right?  You'll want to verify there's no radial play in the right main bearing

Yeah, everything is exactly what the manual says. The two gears on the crankshaft are two Separate ones, I dont get why there is two different gears yet they are the same size

Yeah, everything is exactly what the manual says. The two gears on the crankshaft are two Separate ones, I dont get why there is two different gears yet they are the same size

Not too sure but one would drive the clutch basket, and the other would drive the water pump and or PV governor....

• Like 1

i have a clymers manual for the 250 and 125 which doesnt show the 125 as much so i just order a 87 rm 125 manual, hopefully it will help

• Like 1

i have a clymers manual for the 250 and 125 which doesnt show the 125 as much so i just order a 87 rm 125 manual, hopefully it will help

The factory manuals are far superior to the Clymer's.  I think you will be pleased :thumbsup:

Edited by Fattonz

Hey I'm new here but if that's the primary drive gear im looking at then you've got an extra gear there where its not supposed to be

this is the primary drive gear and there is only one

$(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRm70UsPzg~~60_57.J

The reason why it's locking up is because the teeth on the basket aren't syncing with multiple gears with different teeth, remove the primary drive gear that doesn't belong there and shove the one that's pictured above with top side in, if you have trouble taking the primary drive nut off then get a penny and stick it in between the clutch basket gear and the primary drive to lock it up so that you can remove the primary drive nut off.

Loctite the nut back in this is assuming the guy who messed it up before you has the one proper primary drive gear in there and you're not stuck with 2 primary drive gears off of some random modeled bike

his crank is more than likely fine but if you remove the clutch basket and the crank aint moving at all then you're engine is seized

Edited by 78SuzyQ

I actually looked Into this and thought there was no way because the guy who had it before said it was running the way it was. How familiar with a 87 RM 125 are you ? I should be getting the manual here soon. Also the nut only spins, it never loosens

Hey I'm new here but if that's the primary drive gear im looking at then you've got an extra gear there where its not supposed to be

I actually looked Into this and thought there was no way because the guy who had it before said it was running the way it was. How familiar with a 87 RM 125 are you ? I should be getting the manual here soon. Also the nut only spins, it never loosens

In 1987 there are three different models of RM-125....The G, H, and J models

G and H models have only one gear on the primary:

1987RM-125ModelGandH_zpsf6d3e74a.png

The model J however has two gears as pictured.....one to drive the clutch, the other to drive the power valve governor as I stated in my earlier post:

1987RM-125ModelJ_zps61e93d0e.png

Suzy may be right, but to know for sure you will to determine which model your bike is ;)  Being as you mentioned earlier that there seems to be nothing around that gear for it to mesh with, then it's quite possible the previous owner may have installed the wrong gear for your model of RM... 

However, from looking at your pictures you have the gear installed in such a manner that the outermost gear (the PV driver) is meshing with the teeth on the clutch basket....it seems to me that only the inner (primary drive) gear should mesh with the clutch....  Is there a spacer missing in behind?

Here's the link so you can look for your self:

http://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d38404f8700229982f154b/crankshaft-model-j

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Anyway to check what model it is ? I would like to think it is a h model BC the inner clutch hub has a h circled at the beginning of the part number.