Sign in to follow this  

air filter cleaning tip

not sure if this is a known thing, but I just used wd-40 to clean the filter and dish soap to clean off the wd-40 and grime. worked really well for me and wanted to pass it along. a lot better then buying cleaner!

A good tip for when you're in a bind. But I think diesel, mineral spirits and kerosene are all less expensive. WD40 has millions of uses.

The idea is the same, your using a thinner oil to cut the heavier, tacky oil.  It's just the usual solvents you can buy in bulk for the price of a can of WD40.

Edited by Ebs

Yep, grab some gloves, a bucket and kerosene.  Follow up with Dawn detergent (or your favorite brand) and hot water, then a cold water rinse.

I've been using PJ1 for years.  Oil in the red can and cleaner in the blue can.  You get a couple of cleanings and oilings out of each can.  I like the PJ1 because the cleaner does a great job of neutralizing the oil, then you rinse the stuff out with water.  I usually spend a good five minutes rinsing every last bit of dirt out before drying and oiling.  The stuff works great though.  There is no residual oil left in the filter element after you hit it with the cleaner so the dirt rinses right out.

The easiest way to introduce dirt into your motor is by improperly cleaning the filter.  You would be amazed how long these motors last when they ingest zero dirt.  I get 150+ hours out of top ends on the 250 with no cylinder wear.  If your bottom end is in good shape you will likely never have to replace it as long as you keep dirt out and use high quality premix at the right ratio.  I'd rather buy cleaner than be splitting cases every couple years.

• Like 1

I stopped wasting my time cleaning air filters.  By the time I clean rinse wait to dry, oil and reinstall it is not worth my time.  For the $13 it costs my to put on a No-toil pre oiled I am out maybe 5 minutes of my life start to finish.  I go through 6-10 filters a year less if I use a filter skin.  And using gasoline will eat your filter.  You can soak you filter in super clean or purple power too but getting the right cleaning chemical and oil for the right job is also money well spent.  Your filter also does not get dirty sitting.  Checking it right after you ride and getting it ready will insure you will be ready for the next ride and not be farting around right before a ride.  Like I said, Filter skins!!! extend cleaning or changing intervals, well worth the money.

Ride on!!!

Gas can eat some filter seams, plus harm the foam.

Kerosene destroyed my OEM 2008 Yamaha TT-R125L air filter's seams. Just the excuse I needed to buy a Twin Air filter for it. :)

Ive used gasoline on my uni filter and didnt see any changes in the filter whatsoever. Just put a fresh twin air on not too long ago. Ill look into buying a special cleaner for it and see how it works. Im always open for suggestions. Id hate to harm my engine over being hard headed.

What ever floats you boat and gets it clean, really.

I normally have mineral spirits handy so that's what I use most of the time, have a separate oil drain pan for washing filters in.

Also like to note that compressed air if used carefully can really speed up drying time of the filters, if your in a hurry. I've tried leaving them in the sun but I should have know that would speed up the break down of the foam.

I stopped wasting my time cleaning air filters.  By the time I clean rinse wait to dry, oil and reinstall it is not worth my time.  For the $13 it costs my to put on a No-toil pre oiled I am out maybe 5 minutes of my life start to finish.  I go through 6-10 filters a year less if I use a filter skin.  And using gasoline will eat your filter.  You can soak you filter in super clean or purple power too but getting the right cleaning chemical and oil for the right job is also money well spent.  Your filter also does not get dirty sitting.  Checking it right after you ride and getting it ready will insure you will be ready for the next ride and not be farting around right before a ride.  Like I said, Filter skins!!! extend cleaning or changing intervals, well worth the money.

Ride on!!!

Cheaper than skins, I use hair nets. Bought a big bag over the net a few years ago and still haven`t used them all. When they get dirty I`ll remove them and the filter will still be clean. I mostly clean my filters to keep the oil from drying.

• Like 1

Ride on!!!

You are one of the only people I have heard of that use Filter Skins other than myself. I've told people I ride with and I get no response. I think to myself that's fine. Have fun cleaning your filters. Using them saves so much time and I feel keeps my engine safer from dirt because I take my filter off less, having less of a chance of dirt getting wiped into the air boot.

Am I the only one with a K&N?

I had one, key word was "had" no matter how much I cleaned it or how I oiled it, it always let some real fine sand through it. Waste of 100 bucks

I run K&N or something like it on everything from tillers to tractors and all cars/ trucks.  On the offroad stuff, I use a precleaner sock over the filter.  Easier to clean off the bugs that way.

I have never had an issue with this sand you talk about.  We have very fine dirt and pollin that is very fine, no issues.  One thing I do on the mx bikes is to glue a piece of 200 line screen printing fabric over the intake holes on the side panels. Eliminated the bugs again.

Whatever you use, keep the air clean and freeflowing.