Sign in to follow this  

2002 cr250 as a woods bike?

Hey guys,

I'm debating trading on my 2003 wr450 for a 2002 cr250, I love my bike but I am wanting a 2t for ease of matenance. I am just wondering if they were any issues with that bike or what should be done with it to make it into a better woods bike. It had a FMF fatty system, preformance reeds( I'm assuming v force 3) and a pro circuit head.

Thanks guys!

I also just got a 2002 CR250R that I will use predominantly for woods, with some mx.

Things I recommend are:

- suspension setup for woods

- PWK carb from 2000 CR250R

- Make sure airbox is sealed, if you have to redo it, go ahead and get an 03-04 airboot since they improved the airflow. Airboot is around $30.

- As for the engine, there are a few routes to take. Option 1 is to take your head, measure the squish and send it to RB Designs to have the head mod done...this runs for $92 with shipping included. You could also get the 05+ oem base gasket that will lower your cylinder ~0.010" and have your head and squish set for that. Option 2 is to send your head and cylinder to Eric gorr to have the base lowered 0.030" and the squish set. You could also go have him do his low end or mo Betta porting. There are other options too, but those are the most common.

- You may want a flywheel weight too for smoother power delivery.

Aside from that, it's just your normal stuff for woods like bark busters, guards, etc.

Edited by MXandSXracer21

I ran a 12 tooth up front and I could lug my bike up anything. Didn't have much speed or top end, but for slow, steep long hills/mountains it was awesome.

I would also recommend a skid plate that extends out on each side and protects the inspection cover and ignition cover. I have had both damaged when just trail riding trails. 

One problem your going to have is fouled plugs because you just can keep it wide open or in the high rpms all the time and a four stroke is easier on the clutch in the woods try it out in the hills first if your able for a week or two and then make your decision

Good luck bub and happy trails

One problem your going to have is fouled plugs because you just can keep it wide open or in the high rpms all the time and a four stroke is easier on the clutch in the woods try it out in the hills first if your able for a week or two and then make your decision

Good luck bub and happy trails

Thats weird, 75% of the hours on my bike are trials and I have never fouled a spark plug. With that 12 tooth, I hardly ever had to work the clutch to make the bike do what I wanted. Especially on a 250 that has it's carb dialed in... Now a 125... thats a different story. 

Edited by Blaze45

Haha now the 125 is what I have had trials experience riding not much at that but a few haha well I'm glad to see that you've put a little extra work into finding the perfect bike .

My regular bike is a ttr 230 that I've put a lot of work into haha I've done tons of work to it just lookImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401252381.526768.jpg