Sign in to follow this  

Stabilizer for my 2014 500 exc

Hey guys, fairly new to the 500 as mine only has 200 miles on it. Love it so far! I have been kicking around the idea of a stabilizer and I guess my question is.. What one to go with? Scott's, ohlins, or fast way... I'm sure there is a bit of "you get what you pay for" here, but I would really just like to hear what you guys have to say. The bike will be used for various types of riding.. Thanks for the help.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401048913.277503.jpg

You will get many answers to this. Boils down to how you want it to perform. Do you want it to dampen both directions or just off center? The all have different ways of adjustment and how you can tune them.

I run GPR's on both my 450 and my 300. They dampen both ways and some people don't like that. For me it works.

My first and only stabilizer is a Scott's with the rubber sub mount. I've never ridden a bike with any other type so I have nothing to compare it to but it's saved me more than a few times.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401115550.173171.jpg

Sub'd for info as well. Also can you put the stabilizer on top of the bars so you don't have to raise them?

You can put them above the bars but then you have this large slab of aluminium on top of your bars waiting to open your body up in a get off. The GPR units only raise your bars 1/8" with the sub mount setup. Another reason I went with them.

You can put them above the bars but then you have this large slab of aluminium on top of your bars waiting to open your body up in a get off. The GPR units only raise your bars 1/8" with the sub mount setup. Another reason I went with them.

Cool moving it up 1/8 would actually be perfect. And yes I agree with you I don't want to take a stabilizer to the sternum. Thanks for help.

I have a Scotts on my 500exc and a GPR on the GasGas 300. Frankly I'm satisfied with both. Tough to beat GPR's free rebuilds. I have no doubt both units have saved me on a couple of big hits.

• Like 1

The Scott damper is preferred by far over the GPR by the majority of damper users.  The main advantage of the Scott damper is the separation of low speed and high speed damping with separate adjustments.  

I went with the Scott's with the BRP submount. I took the Scott unit from my last bike and just bought the new mount. Works great at high speeds. I turn it way down at low speeds and in the rocks because it makes the steering feel heavy. I was shocked how much better it turns with the damper turned way down. Twist it a half turn up in the desert or the sand and your good to go.

My first and only stabilizer is a Scott's with the rubber sub mount. I've never ridden a bike with any other type so I have nothing to compare it to but it's saved me more than a few times.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401115550.173171.jpg

I have this same set up. Great dampening and the vibration reduction of the brp is fantastic. Twice as long riding without the pump Edited by ffpyle