Sign in to follow this  

XL 600 engine oil

I have a question about my 86 XL 600. I have never really ran the engine for a lengthy amount of time up until lately. I know that you are supposed to check the oil after letting the bike warm up because the level in the reservoir will change, but I am curious if there is any other reason that the oil level could be too high. After about 5-10 minutes of running, the oil level is over full and a small amount of smoke comes from inside the reservoir. Should I just drain some oil or could there be some other reason for this? Thanks.

Warm, stopped engine. Bike upright, not on kickstand. Do not screw the dipstick IN for reading! Just stick and remove. 

Does that have a dry sump? 

Hi berwin:

Like most dry-sump bikes, oil slowly migrates to the engine sump when they're not running so the oil should be checked after the bike has been started and warmed up and the scavenge pump has returned all the oil to the tank.  It's easy to overfill if the mistake is made of topping bike up when it's been standing and the oil level is low.  If the oil level in the frame-tank is too high after the bike has been running, you have too much oil in the system and there is no other reason for a high oil level.

You could adjust the level by draining a small amount from the front down-tube drain spigot.

patuca

My bad. What's the difference between wet sump and dry? I knew you are supposed to check it after it ran a while. I was just curious if there are any problems that might happen to cause the oil to back up in the reservoir when there is a correct amount of oil overall.

Berwin on a wetsump bike the oil is contained in the engine, at the bottom in the oil-pan or sump.  There is an oil pump to make oil-pressure but after the oil circulates it just drops back into the oil-pan (sump).....On a dry-sump bike the oil is stored in a separate container away from the engine (in your case the frame tube).  As oil runs down through the lubrication passages to the bottom of the engine an extra oil-pump called a scavenge pump, pumps the oil back to the external tank.  

The scavenge pump moves the oil from the sump when the bike is running back to the tank so almost all of the oil is in the tank.  If your bike has been running and is warm, and you check the oil level in the tank immediatley and it is too high....usually it means there's too much oil in the system .  

$_35.JPG

Make sure the screen filter (bottom of the front tube) is clean.  It is the only restriction that can cause oil to back up in the tank and not flow down to the oil-pump .

Finding a manual would be a good idea.

patuca

Edited by patuca

Thanks patuca, that's very helpful. I have the clymer manual and am familiar with the procedure for changing the oil, but I have had plenty of problems with the bike and am a little gun shy about doing anything for fear of ruining an engine. I will check the filter on the frame. Thank you.