Sign in to follow this  

Another flameout thread...

My buddy has a 2011 450 that we just installed a cp 13.5 piston in and eddies remap. Well his bike would cut off before coming out of corners but doing these two mods seems to make it worse. I read about all the threads for ideas..

First I'm going to make a tps reading unit, I just ordered all the random parts off of eBay and have been meaning to make one to check and dial in all the random bikes anyways.

Then I thing were gonna try the Dave Simmons choke mod and close up the plug a little and see if that helps... If anybody has any input of what else has cured this problem input would be much appreciated. He runs the z-start like myself and leaves it in a higher gear usually so I'm sure that dosnt help. Also since a few have said it's worse that hot I'm gonna get him to order the oversized rads since we run a bunch of trails anyways.

He went over the bars a few days ago and had to go to the E.R. SO this is going to be my mission to fix this until the issue is gone. Appreciate the help in advance.

Edited by Diggla117

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401065844.406354.jpg

The manual says if any discoloration to replace.. They're 70 bucks.. Thoughts? Does it need to be replaced or is this normal?

I am still working on this issue.  First I wouldn't bother with the Simon's choke mod.. did absolutely nothing whatsoever.  The Injectioneering mod and the Rekluse clutch had no effect on the flameouts.  Last week when I started riding, I had no flame outs whatsoever, however, by the very end of the day it started flaming out almost every lap.  Granted I was pretty tired and going through the corners slower which would exacerbate the problem, but something clearly was up and I am suspecting that it is fuel related.

My fuel level was low in the tank and the engine was hot. One or both of those issues may be the cause and perhaps the low level of fuel was more easily heated by the hot engine.  What I am trying next, and I hope it fixes the issue as I will be completely out of ideas, is to install a CV4 Kool fuel insulator between the tank and cylinder head and I just bought some VP fuel that has no ethanol in it (VP C9 and T4 has no ethanol). I would have tried it out this past weekend but it has been raining almost every day for the last 2 weeks.  I am thinking the pump gas with ethanol in it is unstable and even more so once it gets hot.  Will report back next weekend if it doesn't rain.

Why, after all these years since the EFI Honda's have been out, no one has an answer to this problem??!!   The problem certainly exists as I have found many who have the same issue while just as many claim they never had an issue.

mike

• Like 1

I used the HRC remap tool and leaned out my fuel settings exactly as dave simmons reccomended, I did not do his choke mod.  My bike starts perfectly and never flames out since I leaned out the low end as he recomends..

I also have a 17oz fww.  The bike would flame out occassionally even with the fww with the stock richer settings, the leaner settings worked perfectly for me (stock exhaust)

• Like 2

check tps calibration?

also maybe call eddie and tell him?

you need to make sure the idle is good and high too.

bout as high as your 06 with the choke on.

Edited by EnglertRacing

check tps calibration?

also maybe call eddie and tell him?

you need to make sure the idle is good and high too.

bout as high as your 06 with the choke on.

Well IF Eddie would answer the phone.. Might email him, good thinkin

I'm getting him to order the wc hour meter so we'll see about the idle. Because he runs the z-start and it's a autoclutch it has to be just right 2000-2100.

Also when the bikes been getting hot it has been idling up for some reason... Hoping the oversized radiators will take care of that.

The tps, I ordered all the stuff I need to build a meter AND I ordered everything I need to build a unit to adjust the ecu so I'm kinda betting on that since the remap made it worse... Play with that a little, lean it out real low in the rpm range..

Anybody think anything of the fuel filter? Should he order another one or not? Appreciate the feedback fellas!

Edited by Diggla117

Well IF Eddie would answer the phone.. Might email him, good thinkin

I'm getting him to order the wc hour meter so we'll see about the idle. Because he runs the z-start and it's a autoclutch it has to be just right 2000-2100.

Also when the bikes been getting hot it has been idling up for some reason... Hoping the oversized radiators will take care of that.

The tps, I ordered all the stuff I need to build a meter AND I ordered everything I need to build a unit to adjust the ecu so I'm kinda betting on that since the remap made it worse... Play with that a little, lean it out real low in the rpm range..

Anybody think anything of the fuel filter? Should he order another one or not? Appreciate the feedback fellas!

yes new filter,

they dont look like that new.

the idling high when hot is strange.

mine idles same rpm even if its boiling over.

yes new filter,

they dont look like that new.

the idling high when hot is strange.

mine idles same rpm even if its boiling over.

K. I'll let him know to go ahead and order one. The idling high is strange... That's why we're checking the fuel filter out for ideas. I guess I'm going to check for some cracked lines as well??? Y'all have any ideas on that let me know.

Since I'm on the stock clutch I'm able to run slightly higher idle at 2100 to 2200. Switched from pump fuel to t4. So far no flame outs. I was trying to make it happen while riding ..opening throttle quickly from low speeds. Everything seems fine now.

• Like 1

Hey diggla , listen if you don't want to buy a new filter on a guess try this , this what I did a couple times to get me thru , take the filter off the pump and get a decent size bowl ( glass ) so you can see the results and fill it about half way with some gas and put some seafoam in it (a good bit) now submerserse the filter in the bowl and apply some low air pressure thru the inlet on the filter (back flushing) it will foam up and clean the filter pretty damn good when you done pull the filter out the bowl and apply some more air thru the inlet in a towel to kinda dry it out some . After you do that look at the bowl and see all the shit in the bottom after it settled down . Some people I'm sure will disagree with this but it worked for me when I didn't want to she'll out the dough !!!

Also from my exsperience I wouldn't start messing with the tps if has never been touched read all my previous post on that subject (just a suggestion ) I think the high idle when hot is cuz the idle speed is right on the edge of being to high , might be good when cold start becouse the ecu is giving it more fuel when cold therefor needs more air to go with it or it doesn't want to stay idling and will konk out after a min or so but when the engine is hot the ecu leans it out some and therefor the idle is increased and runs more steady , set the idle at 2100 maybe 2200 when fully hot and then try it , if you get like a hanging idle it's a click or two to high back it down and try it . These are just my observations with out 11 250 we could never really get it dialed in after it started messing up on us , remap didn't work , tps didn't do no good , fuel filter didn't work , ect didn't work , the only thing that worked was going and getting a green machine

Edited by Whatwentwrong

I Appreciate it man. He already ordered a new filter(70 f'n bucks!!!) and tach. I already ordered all the stuff for the tps to read its output, it wouldn't hurt to have and test all the crf's me and my buddy's have and make sure they're all tuned in. AND I already ordered everything I need to make the hrc tuner SO I'll report back when I get all the parts in and get to apply them in a few weeks. If all this dosnt fix it....

I Appreciate it man. He already ordered a new filter(70 f'n bucks!!!) and tach. I already ordered all the stuff for the tps to read its output, it wouldn't hurt to have and test all the crf's me and my buddy's have and make sure they're all tuned in. AND I already ordered everything I need to make the hrc tuner SO I'll report back when I get all the parts in and get to apply them in a few weeks. If all this dosnt fix it....

I'll be interested to see how this works for you, I had 3 more stalls at last nights practice, one was while I was still coming into a corner at speed. Of course all of these could be operator error, but, when I ride a friends yzf450, it never stalls you can lug it anywhere. I have to do more clutch work to keep this bike alive than a 125 rider. Im actually having to shift into 1st for every corner to make up for the impending stall. Hands getting too tired to pull that clutch for every decel and turn. (my t4 has been in the tank for a few weeks, wonder if that could be making it worse?)

Edited by pieplatesnductape
  • Like 1

Dang that sucks man. I'll definitely update this when everything FINALY gets here and I get to apply it.

I have never really had this issue bother me... until yesterday. 3 flameouts = get passed.

I also noticed something more troubling that I have never noticed before on any EFI CRF: just sitting there, bike just started and idling fine at a pretty high rpm for 30+ seconds warming up (not the first start of the day, bike already pretty warm) and I am doddling around with my goggles, "PFFT" bike just stalls instantly. Nice and quite, just quits.. Did that twice yesterday, totally out of the blue. No, I didn't hit the kill switch, and yes, my idle rpm is at least at 2k rpm. So I had five (5) stalling incidents for me yesterday in 1.2hrs of riding time. More than I have had in total...

Edited by Eddie8v

Dang. Just dealing with his bike is making me not wanna go to FI. That the first time that bike has been running that hot Eddie? Just an idea about the flameout.

On another note the software and one of my connectors came in yesterday for the ecu tuning and the battery pack and kick down meter came in for the tps. Now I just have to wait for the rest of the connectors and jumpers to show up.

Btw that hrc software is serious! Between every ten increments being able to adjust the fuel and the timing I should be able to accomplish this whole flameout issue if possible there... Anybody try Shawn's spark plug closing theory yet? Close the plug down to .028?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401649487.200974.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401649500.549599.jpg

Edited by Diggla117

Nothing different about yesterday compared to any other riding day... wasn't a hot day at all.

I will say this, I have a '12 that just out of the blue developed a bog, and the flameout issue, at about the same time. I fooled around remapping a little with the hrc software it helped with the bog some, but not with the flame out issue. Then I recently scored a vortex/tokyo mods ecu off of ebay. The bog is 100% gone, but I still have an occasional flame out. Had 3 today as a matter of fact. The vortex definitly made the bike scream on the top end more so than the stock ecu remapped would ever reach. I would buy one of these over a pipe first any day of the week from now on. I just need to figure out the flame out issue, the bike has a rekluse core exp 2.0 in it so it isn't due to not pulling in the clutch soon enough. Also I changed the fuel filter and that didn't help either.

Hmm.. Seems to me a heavier flywheel would help this issue. Just a thought. Have I mentioned Hondas pissing me off lately..

Edited by Diggla117

tried one, thought it sucked ;) felt to lazy for my tastes. I am going to look into my rekluse and see what springs I have in it and maybe change them up to a higher engagement point and see if it helps. A buddy of mine has an '11 that is doing the same with flame outs as well. We are getting 100% 93 octane gas at different locations, so I don't know if it is gas related, but I am not ruling that out. I have had my bike for almost 19months and this issue has started in the last month, never before that.