Sign in to follow this  

What the heck is this sound?

Video link: 

Just rebuilt the top end('06), and i thought it was the cam chain slapping, so i ordered a manual tensioner, with nothing changing.  It seems to only happen when I try to bring it down to low idle, (if you notice my hand, I am turning the idle screw).  I replaced the cam chain guide (mine was burnt) with one from an '03 that seemed to be a little thicker, but it was the same part number.  Could this be the source of the problem?

Sounds to me when the idle is too low it is just trying to die out and rattling the chain while it is about to die.  Does it only happen at very low almost dead idle?  I'm sure some of the experts here will chime in with a better answer but otherwise maybe someone can just crank their idle down to just about dead and see if it makes the same death rattle LOL...

Is it just me or do I see the cam chain tensioner lock nut moving? That sounds like the cam chain slapping around to me

yeah that cam chain tensioner nut is definitely not tight....

I made a manual cam chain tensioner 4 years ago in an emergency out of the stock tensioner to save a long weekend of riding. the shop thought I was nuts and would never work. been 4 years and probably close to 200 engine hours with it so far :)

yeah i was adjusting the tensioner at the same time to see if it went away, and there wasn't any difference.  It sounds like something gets knocked out of sync, and i'm afraid to ride like this.

that's a distinct metallic sounding noise, if it was mine I would double check everything- even if it means tearing back apart. does it start right up or are you having to really do some odd starting procedure.

that's a distinct metallic sounding noise, if it was mine I would double check everything- even if it means tearing back apart. does it start right up or are you having to really do some odd starting procedure.

Yeah I agree, it definitely sounds like a metallic "clacking", what is strange is that it starts and runs fine, until a lower idle where it seems to run in a different cycle, usually i have to shut the motor of and restart it to "reset" the cycle.