Sign in to follow this  

more top end needed

Taking the itty bitty 230L on a pretty long ride coming up and would like to maximize fuel economy and keep the rpm down. Im a noob to bikes so how could i accomplish this? Should I go up in sprocket size?

There's only so much you can do with an engine that is relatively low-powered in terms of gearing it up. Going too tall with the gearing will not only kill the performance, it will likely increase fuel consumption because of the added load on the engine trying to pull the tall gearing.

I wouldn't go more than a tooth or two on the rear, if I did anything at all. It's not like the 230L is a gas hog, Hell it probably gets 70 mpg or better. Even at 60 mpg, with 2.3 gallons you'll have probably more range than you care to stay in the seat for without stopping.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

I am bringing extra fuel and you're right on not wanting to stay on the seat long! What's the difference in going up a tooth on the front sprocket vs going up on the rear? Does it matter?

13/39 - One tooth on the front is equivalent to three teeth on the back.  If you add one tooth to the front it's roughly the same as removing three teeth from the back.  Adding a tooth to the front counter sprocket is a lot cheaper and easier than removing three from the back.

14/39 = 7.7% increase in overall ratio or 92.9% of engine speed at a given bike speed

13/38 = 2.6% increase in overall ratio or 97.4% of engine speed at a given bike speed

13/37 = 5.4% increase in overall ratio or 94.9% of engine speed at a given bike speed

13/36 = 8.3% increase in overall ratio or 92.3% of engine speed at a given bike speed

Edited by VortecCPI

thanks for the info. I might see how stepping up a tooth in the front will do. but first i have other parts on the waiting list.

This question is sort of off to the side of the subject, but what gearing is everyone running? My bike is odd because it's a 150 (small wheels) with a 230 engine. With that said, my gearing is completely different from everyone else.

But what is everyone running these days for the 150 and the 230?

This question is sort of off to the side of the subject, but what gearing is everyone running? My bike is odd because it's a 150 (small wheels) with a 230 engine. With that said, my gearing is completely different from everyone else.

But what is everyone running these days for the 150 and the 230?

We both use 12-50.  We use first for billy goat trails.  Top speed is usually only 40-45 MPH so it works fine for us.