Sign in to follow this  

Let your kids follow their dreams

Well here it goes i'm just like many other kids that have always wanted a dirt bike ever since they could talk but just recently got one in September and i was the happiest most complete kid I could've been. Now Lets get some background info well I was the really athletic type of kid loved sports and was athletically gifted the gym was my mecca its where i found a peace i was an aspiring bodybuilder i was the type of kid that would've never gotten into drugs. But a few months after i got my dirt bike someone wrecked into me on the track while going into a corner, i broke my ankle all the way through and had to have surgery. my parents were very frustrated that i broke my ankle they would yell at me and question themselves on why they ever got me a dirt bike, i lost about 40 lbs of solid weight looking frail and skinny. as much as i begged and pleaded for them not to sell it they did, whenever i mention a dirt bike they get very angry and hostile. The feeling of riding can't be replaced and i knew as long as I'm in this house I'm never riding again. This is where the drugs come in they're the only things that can somewhat substitute that feeling for a short amount of time but eventually you start building up a tolerance and need more and more and more your body craves them and feels funny without them, but instead of being that one kid looking where my future is headed,  here i am looking to where my addiction is going to take me.

To the parents,

Your children have dreams they want to follow they're extremely passionate about some things the worst thing you can do is take it away from them. That broken bone is a small temporary problem. Sometimes the things you think you're doing to protect your children are actually hurting them even more.

• Like 3

Ever think about buying your own bike?

im not allowed to own a bike under this roof I've tried just about everything but they're pretty firm when they said I'm never riding again

Well here it goes i'm just like many other kids that have always wanted a dirt bike ever since they could talk but just recently got one in September and i was the happiest most complete kid I could've been. Now Lets get some background info well I was the really athletic type of kid loved sports and was athletically gifted the gym was my mecca its where i found a peace i was an aspiring bodybuilder i was the type of kid that would've never gotten into drugs. But a few months after i got my dirt bike someone wrecked into me on the track while going into a corner, i broke my ankle all the way through and had to have surgery. my parents were very frustrated that i broke my ankle they would yell at me and question themselves on why they ever got me a dirt bike, i lost about 40 lbs of solid weight looking frail and skinny. as much as i begged and pleaded for them not to sell it they did, whenever i mention a dirt bike they get very angry and hostile. The feeling of riding can't be replaced and i knew as long as I'm in this house I'm never riding again. This is where the drugs come in they're the only things that can somewhat substitute that feeling for a short amount of time but eventually you start building up a tolerance and need more and more and more your body craves them and feels funny without them, but instead of being that one kid looking where my future is headed,  here i am looking to where my addiction is going to take me.

To the parents,

Your children have dreams they want to follow they're extremely passionate about some things the worst thing you can do is take it away from them. That broken bone is a small temporary problem. Sometimes the things you think you're doing to protect your children are actually hurting them even more.

Please go get help with your addiction. Just like your broken ankle, this period of time you have at home with your parents is brief. Their interests as you know are in protecting you. There are many kids who will never know what it's like to have a caring parent. They believe they are doing what is best for you....out of love for you.

If you fall to this addiction you are destined to a life of shit and sealing the deal that you will in fact NEVER ride again. If you get well you can have the life you want when you are an adult. That will afford you the time and money to do what you want.....RIDE!!!

Ok, so maybe riding isn't in the immediate cards for you...but you can make it happen!!! Please, there is lots of help available....don't do this.

• Like 7

im not allowed to own a bike under this roof I've tried just about everything but they're pretty firm when they said I'm never riding again

Well it sounds like you are blaming everyone except the real source of your problems....yourself

• Like 3

Well, you in fact live under the roof of your parents. IMO you do what they want you do and when when you can afford it on your own you can then do w/e u want. I dunno what you want from us? I mean you want us to say we should tell you to tell your parents to f off? Again its their house, you're their kid, its their rules. None of us can tell your parents how to raise their kids(s).

Thing to realize is you can ride again at a later time, assuming you can afford it. By that....I mean, bide your time, do well in school, get a job that allows you to partake in this expensive sport. At that point they can't stop you. Nothing anyone can say here can speak for them...if that is what you want. I agree with Fattonz as well, getting wrapped up in a stupid azz addiction in the here and now (like drugs) will essentially not only make riding again in the future a pipe dream, it will make a decent life one as well. I am not saying people don't recover from addictions to drugs, but it makes for a lot longer road then just accepting the NOW, getting help if you need it, and focusing on life in the future. At your apparent age, this is a very small blip on the radar.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

Im not trying to sound like an ass, I'm really not.

I have minimal sympathy for this, you can still get job and buy your own bike/truck ect. In fact, all my bikes and cars have been achieved with 0 help from mom or dad.

And breaking an ankle isn't awful, plenty of athletes do it, plenty recover. You shouldn't fret over it, neither should your parents, let it heal and keep going.

Lastly adrenaline can be achieved many different ways, take up downhill mountainbiking, sky dive, build lifted truck and drive them through trails (works if you can't do anything too dangerous) tons of stuff. I'll admit I'm blessed that i have a dirtbike and can ride it, also blessed that i know noone or nothing can make me not ride.

Lastly, drugs are a choice, i get it, when someone is in a dark place that try drugs. I've seen this destroy many afriends careers. My recommendation, stop doing drugs. Youre clearly mixed in with the wrong people, stop doing that too.

You came here for sympathy about problems you gave yourself, be prepared because I'm not the only one that will give you the much needed, NO.

Edited by zotis777
  • Like 4

Please go get help with your addiction. Just like your broken ankle, this period of time you have at home with your parents is brief. Their interests as you know are in protecting you. There are many kids who will never know what it's like to have a caring parent. They believe they are doing what is best for you....out of love for you.

If you fall to this addiction you are destined to a life of shit and sealing the deal that you will in fact NEVER ride again. If you get well you can have the life you want when you are an adult. That will afford you the time and money to do what you want.....RIDE!!!

Ok, so maybe riding isn't in the immediate cards for you...but you can make it happen!!! Please, there is lots of help available....don't do this.

Perfectly said, and please tell your parent's that your having problem's with the pain med's, that need's to be your first priority,,,,,then,,,,the bike issue may change in your favor. Get off the med's, they are a no win situation.

To the parents,

First thing is first in what ever state you're in now, you have to make sure you realize drugs and dirt bikes are not associated to one another. 

What ever drugs you're taking, it isn't just to forget about losing a dirt bike and never riding again which you're wrong by the way, but it's about where you are at in you life now and the decisions you're making.

While you're under your parents roof, you MUST oblige by their rules.  It's as simple as that.  When you get a job and find your own place to live, you'll then realize how hard it is to keep a roof over your head and understand why your parents didn't like dirt bikes.

Hopefully next time you write, you'll have more positive things to say, and get yourself straightened out son, set some goals.

:devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 2

The kid needs some help....we don't need to chastise him. He is urging us to let our kids follow their dreams ( I agree ) . Get the help you need adrenaline, and KEEP following your dreams....you can make it happen if you want it badly enough ( maybe just some time to let it all cool off, and you to get off the drugs OK?). I say GO FOR IT .

Joe

• Like 4

The road to achieving one's 'dream' aren't usually paved with gold bricks...........  I suppose that's what makes it all the more merrier when you go through tough trials and hardships to then finally make it there.

• Like 2

So, as a parent I should supply my child with a dirtbike so they can "follow their dreams"?

And if I don't do this, then substituting drugs is the alternative?

You sir, can phaq right off!

My wife and I get up everyday and work our asses off to provide for our family, and some snot noses punk is going to give ME an ultimatum, get effin real!

• Like 5

So, as a parent I should supply my child with a dirtbike so they can "follow their dreams"?

My wife and I get up everyday and work our asses off to provide for our family, and some snot noses punk is going to give ME an ultimatum, get effin real!

Hahahahahaha...... this post right here crack me up!  :lol:

Finally someone who gets it....

• Like 1

Hey man I'm 15 and my parents weren't always crazy about me riding too. Bikes have put me through so much pain. I've broken bones and had surgery because of them. Tell you're parents you're having a problem and need help. That should be your main focus. Believe me, you and I are only 15 so we have no clue what it's like watching our kids wipe out and sitting in a hospital bed and fall apart. I love riding but have no clue what that would be like. But they are a much better alternative to drugs. They are a natural high.

But for right now, get off the drugs than see what happens. Really, think about it, if you got a dirt bike tomorrow would you just completely forget about drugs? Probably not. But right now don't worry about the bikes and just worry about getting clean. Than a whole world of other opportunities will open up too.

• Like 2

Monk I think you need to chill a bit...

Nowhere did he say you had to buy your kid a dirt bike.

He said to let your kids live there dream, and not wrap them in a plastic bubble. Doesn't have to be dirt bikes, could be anything.

As a parent I can't say I disagree with that. 

• Like 4

OK then!

Well I will say this to end all confusion!

My name is ridngslikecrack,

"Ridings addictive"

I do not condone the use of drugs though!

• Like 3

Idle hands are the devils play toys. Been there and done that. Starting smoking grass at 13 and a few years later sold my yz80. Now i was face deep in a bag of blow at the age of 15. It only took me 4 yrs to be in the hospital clinging to life with a blood clot 3 inch from my heart. Got clean instead of dead. Your young and are going to figure shit out for yourself. Doesnt matter what people say. Find out the hard way if you want. Now i ride for my fix. Best money spent on getting High !

OK then!

Well I will say this to end all confusion!

My name is ridngslikecrack,

"Ridings addictive"

I do not condone the use of drugs though!

But I thought you once said riding was like another crack, also addictive, but pretty harmless?

Mike

• Like 1

Monk I think you need to chill a bit...

Nowhere did he say you had to buy your kid a dirt bike.

He said to let your kids live there dream, and not wrap them in a plastic bubble. Doesn't have to be dirt bikes, could be anything.

As a parent I can't say I disagree with that.

That's exactly what he said.

"it's mom and dad's fault that I'm becoming a drug addict because they won't buy me a dirtbike/live my dream"

The had OP had problems long before and dirtbike was involved. He goes from being some "star" athlete, weight training phenom to a leech over a broken ankle? Something isn't right.... Maybe his parents handed everything to him from the get go and when they finally said no he goes off.

Maybe his parents are flat out broke because they have sacrificed other things for this guy? No one knows the other side to this story....

I guess I'm the only one on the Internet that doesn't bullshit himself in believing that life is all one big party. I'm sorry but life is hard. Getting up at 530 every morning, going to work, coming home, working around the house etc etc take tremendous amounts of energy, time and money, 3 things that I have very little of at the end of the day. I will sacrifice what I can for my child, to help them through, to realize their potential, but I will not sacrifice everything so my child can live their dream while me and my wife stand out in the cold. There are too many friggin dreamers out there, not enough realistic people...

• Like 5