Sign in to follow this  

Pre-Trip Checklist, Trail Toolbox.

Hey everyone, FInally have some trips planned out for this year, now looking to get some ideas of what I should be looking for Pre-Trip, Would hate to break down hours from home because of something I may have noticed beforehand. I ride a 2007 KX250F, Completely stock motor wise. I'm not 100% what all I should look at/adjust/etc. before I take off for a weekend (or even before each ride), What are some things you guys look for? Is there a checklist out there?

Second question, Is the some kind of "Trail Toolbox" people use? I'd like to get an idea of what to bring to do repairs on the trail or at the track if needed, but have as little tools as possible. Also curious what spare parts people may bring that can easily be repaired when away from home (tubes/cables/etc.).

All replies are appreciated, Thanks for reading and let me know what you've got!

Trips overnight ? Out of state you will need appropriate jetting for that area . I would go over the whole bike before leaving steering head , swingarm and linkage service, oil, air filters , take an extra one at least. There is a checklist of maintenance in your manual of basics. Fender bags are nice to carry tools . I take extra everything that i can get in my blazer and trailer i can bring it back home if i don't need it. I carry extra tubes , co2 tire repair/inflation kit, a trauma kit hopefully never need that but even has basic meds tylenol , bandaids and stuff . Extra masterlink . All basic tools to pull a carb, wheels,and change jets. Couple changes of clothes and of course my fully charged iphone with google earth app. Large caliber handgun incase you meet up with a bigfoot  :lol: or at least some jerky. 

• Like 1

I have a huge toolbox, and I basically pack it with every tool ive touched in the last 2 weeks if the trip is more than a day. Ill list off whats in that toolbox:

Airfilter oil

Airfilter cleaner

Hammers

Rubber mallet

Rubber gloves

Bolt pro-pack (worth all of $50)

Ratchet kit

Extra premix (2t)

Extra trans oil

Tire slime

Tire irons

Torque wrench

Zip ties

Duct tape

Jb weld

Wire cutters

Various pliers

Channel locks

Wirecutters

Scissors

Various screwdrivers

Bit set

Various vice grips

Handheld ball pump (works for tires as well as my football)

Any tool I think I may need, I grab. As for my carry on in my riding backpack.

Channel locks

Cresent wrench

Sparkplug bag

Flathead screwdriver

Phillips head screwdriver

2 knives

Chainsaw blade between 2 handles (super effective tool)

Think thats it...sorry for the ramble.

• Like 2

If you keep up with maintenance you'll be fine. Don't just do it for a weekend trip, maintain ur bike always to keep it in perfect shape!! I've posted this before but here she goes. Again.

Wash bike, live chain, check wheel steering head and shock bearings, remove wheels grease axles and wheel spacers, check all handlebar mounts (clutch brake levers, throttle cable tension, damper mounting, etcetera), CLEAN FILTER, change trans oil minimum every 10 hrs riding, fill antifreeze, check chain tension brake pads and sprocket wear, check exhaust mounting bolts bc they rattle off, TORQUE SHOCK AND TRIPLE CLAMP BOLTS.

These are just the combing over basics to check each ride, it's never failed me.

• Like 2

Food and water, food, I just carry granola type bars, 6-10. Absolutely a way to repair flats, and I'm always mentally prepared to spend the night, even if I have to sleep in my clothes. Still working out how to do planned sleeping overnight without buying a lot of high dollar gear. My streetbike  camping gear is still to bulky to carry where I ride off road.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do regular maintenance, however, I just bought a new bike so I want to be prepared. What's best to use for flat tires? Do those puncture repair cans work any good?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do regular maintenance, however, I just bought a new bike so I want to be prepared. What's best to use for flat tires? Do those puncture repair cans work any good?

I carry a new front tube, patch kit, CO2, tire irons. I've never tried fix-a-flat and such. I have tried Slime and my experience is it's sketchy and can make a mess. Stiff tires and a rimlock or 2 will allow you to ride flat for a while. I admit, I've been pretty lucky so far, a flat is a rare occurrence. I also don't ride low pressures. Heavy duty tubes.

Mike