Sign in to follow this  

Motocross On Board Cameras?!?

I think it would be awesome if the top 10 in points had to have some kind of on board cameras, maybe front and rear facing. Something kind of like race cars where the race footage can extend to the rider perspective in real time. I know it would be a weight penalty of sorts, but it would be so awesome to watch back and forth race footage between front runners while the race is happening. 

I don't care for the first person point of view too much perspective is lost.

• Like 2

I don't think it adds much to motocross, and there wouldn't really be any room for a transponder for the video, riders are cutting down on weight as it.

You guys are late to the party

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/motocross-actions-weekend-news-round-up-honda-wants-to-pay-you-supercross-to-go-gyroscopic-mxa-heads-south-north-and-east

Word on the street is that the Supercross promoters will begin testing a gyroscopic camera at Anaheim III. The camera system, developed in Europe, has been tested on a motocross bike by Spanish GP rider Javier Garcia Vico and will reportedly be tested by the Ricky Carmichael team on February 3

The camera always stays aligned with the horizon no matter how far the bike is laid over?and was used on the rear seats of MotoGP bikes during their TV coverage in the past.

cameravico_toni_elias.jpg

camera_front.jpg camera_rear.jpg

Edited by meyermetal

Yep whatever they have in MotoGP works petty good.  We need this in MX and SX.  They missed 70% of the passing and other stuff worth watching at GH.  They could really use the setup the NFL has with the camera on wires that can go anywhere.  

They could really use the setup the NFL has with the camera on wires that can go anywhere.

They used that for SX but how the hell would they do it for MX?

RC heli cameras is the way to go outdoors if they can figure it out but right now the picture sucks

I think it would be pretty awesome to watch playbacks of certain key passes both from the forward and backwards perspective. Of course the cameras would get dirty sometimes but overall it would be a great thing imo.

At one race they run a mule next to the track with a camera.

I don't know why they don't put up a quad camera with a goPro at the first turn and another one from the start gate to the first turn.

Helmet cameras for the top riders would be a great way to make hare scrambles better for TV.

I'm def on board about more cameras so we can have different views. Especially if mavtv can't learn to do tv coverage.

Of course on asphalt it would work but the bouncing of the bike in mx seems impossible to be mounted to the bike. It would take a serious $$$$ stabilizer.

Edited by coastalrider

I think it would be awesome if the top 10 in points had to have some kind of on board cameras, maybe front and rear facing. Something kind of like race cars where the race footage can extend to the rider perspective in real time. I know it would be a weight penalty of sorts, but it would be so awesome to watch back and forth race footage between front runners while the race is happening. 

i know in the gps they had live cameras i thought it was last year or maybe it was just for the mx des nations when they were whoopin our asses in the sand.. pretty cool. they do it in motogp.

Edited by tnat1

Yes that was very cool. I liked the on board cams at muddy creek. Hopefully they expand to other riders next round!

They just need to tilt the camera up a little more. The vid quality was very good. I could read all the stickers on the front fender

• Like 3

They just need to tilt the camera up a little more. The vid quality was very good. I could read all the stickers on the front fender

Yep tilt it up more and maybe put a remote adjustment in it to move it around side to side up and down.  The starts would be awsome with one if you pulled the holeshot and could spin the camera around to show everyone behind you.

The GoPro has already killed online video, we don't need too much of it during the race.

Please explain

I knew live on-board camera footage wasn't too far off. My son mounts GoPros in stock cars at our current track, and watches in real time on his iPhone.

As a matter of fact, I thought I saw live on-bike footage from the MX race right before Redbud. The announcer was announcing and said something to the effect of, "Let's ride along with (I forget the rider) on the start". Then the footage was from the gate drop, through the first turn and down through the first few jumps.

I seem to remember it as being a live feed . . . but, s'pose I could be wrong.

HB