Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Possible buy: 36000 miles and bottom end noise. Need advice, please.

Hi, I am new here.

An opportunity to buy a high mileage (36k) 04 drz400s has come up. It has developed bottom end issues. The adult seller wants less than $500 for it. He says there is no other damage besides scratches in the plastic and normal wear.

Has Corbin seat, new clutch.

That's the details I have now. Waiting for pictures tonight, and a chance to talk tomorrow.

Is a drz with this many miles (I'm ASSuming easy ones), with even adequate maintanence performed, worth rebuilding?

Thanks!

id get it. and rebuild it. a full rebuild is probably around $2000 depend on what you buy. i bought new cams, a head, a big bore, and crank assembly. you'd be paying less than $2500 for a bike you know is rebuilt and shouldnt have any problems for a while..

• Like 5

Thanks, guys. Just got pictures of it and does appear to be in excellent shape for the mileage. Definitely LOOKS like a responsible rider's bike.

Aside from the engine, though, I am concerned about wheel bearings, brakes, suspension and pivots, etc. The little parts that really add up.

Everything I've found while searching high mileage drz is about the powerplant and swingarm pivots. What about the chassis, fuel, and electrical systems' lifespan?

Thanks!

Thanks, guys. Just got pictures of it and does appear to be in excellent shape for the mileage. Definitely LOOKS like a responsible rider's bike.

Aside from the engine, though, I am concerned about wheel bearings, brakes, suspension and pivots, etc. The little parts that really add up.

Everything I've found while searching high mileage drz is about the powerplant and swingarm pivots. What about the chassis, fuel, and electrical systems' lifespan?

Thanks!

all those parts are only about $200 total and a few hours shop time to replace.  

• Like 2

Thanks!

The DRZ is a pretty tough machine and holds up well.  Go through the motor, replace the wheel bearings, grease the swing arm, get the suspension set for your weight and enjoy your bike.  Go though all of the FAQ items, loctite fixes, free power mod, etc...

If it is in good shape and you can get it for that price, I'm not sure how you could go wrong.   Depending on what you plan to do with the bike, you might also consider installing the ACT wide ratio gear set while it is apart...

• Like 1

The coffee cup holder really nails it's usage to me. 2014052595180713.jpg

• Like 1

id get it. and rebuild it. a full rebuild is probably around $2000 depend on what you buy. i bought new cams, a head, a big bore, and crank assembly. you'd be paying less than $2500 for a bike you know is rebuilt and shouldnt have any problems for a while..

What he said,  you can have a nice strong upgraded drz for around 3K,  thats a deal IMO.

• Like 2

IMG_20140526_145106.jpg

Got it! $450!

The owner rode it 70mi a day to work. No real offroad miles. Super clean for the mileage. No leaks. Regular maintenance performed.

This will the 5th bike that I've rebuilt, but never a Suzuki or an offroad machine. Really grateful for you guys and this forum.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Having a lot of fun working on this late model machine!

It's stripped down to the frame now, top end and sides of engine torn down for inspection.

Lots of play at the clutch basket and counterbalancer shaft. All the loctite fix items checked out tight aside from the CS sprocket that basically fell off when I looked at it. Head looks good. Valves checked; INT in spec, EX a tiny bit tight. Comp test 60psi dry, 70 wet....

Here's some carnage pics☺:

IMG_20140530_160520.jpgIMG_20140607_162817.jpgIMG_20140607_140752.jpgIMG_20140603_201234.jpgIMG_20140603_201200.jpg

• Like 3

It's stripped down to the frame now, top end and sides of engine torn down for inspection.

Lots of play at the clutch basket and counterbalancer shaft. All the loctite fix items checked out tight aside from the CS sprocket that basically fell off when I looked at it. Head looks good. Valves checked; INT in spec, EX a tiny bit tight. Comp test 60psi dry, 70 wet....

attachicon.gifIMG_20140530_160520.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140607_162817.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140607_140752.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140603_201234.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140603_201200.jpg

She's definately ready for some TLC.  Have fun, good luck & welcome to TT.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_20140530_160520.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140607_162817.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140607_140752.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140603_201234.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140603_201200.jpg

Wow, that sprocket looks bad! Actually, carnage is a good choice of words.....this should be fun though. You sound mechanically inclined, and this should be the fun part...making it the way you want and not having had the bank broke to get it....$450 seems like a really good deal to me. You're going to have to post up some progress pics so we can follow along.

• Like 2

She's coming along well.

Stripped to frame and now in cleaning mode. Past two days at the parts washer (a tub filled with Purple Power).

Parts are coming in daily. Christmas everyday!

IMG_20140614_183510.jpg