Sign in to follow this  

Is it neccessary to locking nuts?

Was wondering if its neccessary to change the locking nuts on the sprocket and linkage if you can finger tighten them all the way? I just noticed cuz i stripped two nuts getting my sprocket off and the new ones u can barely get it past the locking part of the nut with just my fingers

If you can finger tighten then all the way then there not locking. Time to replace them

• Like 1

Depending on the application I will reuse lock nuts once or twice. But I always add some blue (243/medium strength) locktite. A lot of times I put that on new lock nuts too, just because. But if you can finger tighten the nut all the way past the nylon insert/crimp (depending on lock nut type) or you question them at all, junk them and get new. That's my professional opinion anyway.

• Like 2

That's known as drag-torque.. if you can turn the nut all the way down with your fingers, it's certainly time to replace them with new lock nuts. 

Using new hardware when replacing parts is good maintenance practice.

Cheers.

• Like 1

For some reason Suzuki uses BUTTER NUTS, never in my life have I seen soft A$$ butter nuts on a motorcycle, about 3 of mine stripped and I had to take to a machine shop, and they took a blade and cut them off.

Fasteners on the DRZ are no different in quality then any other OEM production motorcycle or car. 

If they are being damaged on removal and not due to corrosion, or some mechanical interference (like cross threading)...the damage is being caused by the person turning the tool... not the fastener.

Use the right tool, the right technique and there will be no damage to the fastener...  Blaming your ham fistedness or crappy tools for damaged fasteners is like blaming spoons for being fat.  :lol:

If prevailing torque nuts are no longer providing the resistance designed for to resist loosening due to vibration. Replace, or use anaerobic thread locking compound.  

A medium strength in any of the major brands would be great for this application.

If the fastener threads are worn, damaged ect.. the drive portion of the fastener is damaged, then replace the nut or bolt with new hardware. 

• Like 1

Fasteners on the DRZ are no different in quality then any other OEM production motorcycle or car. 

If the fastener threads are worn, damaged ect.. the drive portion of the fastener is damaged, then replace the nut or bolt with new hardware.

The nuts on mine where extremely soft aluminum and no weight to them at all(butter nuts), never seen that with any of my cr's or kx's.

The nuts on mine where extremely soft aluminum and no weight to them at all(butter nuts), never seen that with any of my cr's or kx's.

The OEM sprocket nuts are steel,from what i have seen and  prevailing torque type. NOT aluminum ..

What year and model are you talking about?  

2003 , but yes they acted like extremely soft aluminum(not steel) bike was a new build off the floor. However I didn't put a magnet to them , so if they were steel was extremely cheap pig metal steel and weightless , using a sixpoint was dicey. Just cheap stuff, never seen that on any other model. I could see one nut have issue, but they were all like cheese , I think I ended up getting 2 or 3 cut off.