Sign in to follow this  

First Ride Impressions -CRF230F

Finally got the opportunity to take my CRF230F out this weekend to see what its made of. I'm pretty impressed. Lots of power and good handling. I have nothing to compare it to since its my first bike but I think it rides awesome. There are a couple things I noticed off the bat. First is that when I let off the throttle, the bike slows down pretty abruptly. It's like I'm in too low of a gear, but if I put it in a higher gear it sounds like its laboring too much, or whatever the term is. Do I need to adjust something or is this normal? I would be in a standing position and when I would let off the throttle it was like the bike wanted to throw me over the handle bars. Second thing is I think I need to raise my bars a bit because they seem a little low when standing (I'm 6-2").

Interesting observation and I noticed that as well. Maybe even more so since re-jetting and intake/exhaust mods? I know others have mentioned that 4 strokes run much higher compression than 2 strokes but I've had a few previous Honda 3 wheelers with similar motors and never noticed this characteristic to this extent.

My brother in law kept saying that--a lot of compression. I did rejet the bike when I first got it and never rode it with the stock jets. I just bought a new carb so maybe ill install it and see how it rides with the stock jets so I can compare.

If I put the new carb on with stock jets, do I need to put the intake baffle and spark arrestor back on?

One thing I should mention is that although I removed the spark arrestor (part of it at least), I did not remove the part with mesh screen since it is welded to the end cap. Does this entire piece need to be removed?

I'm 5'9" and have inch high bar risers fitted making the standing position spot on for me. I'd recommend them without hesitation but would think if you're over six foot you may also need to go for aftermarket bars that are higher than the stock bars.

Any more recommendations on how to go about raising the handlebar height? Should I go aftermarket or risers? If aftermarket, what brand, and if risers, what brand and how tall? And should I get the type that brings the bars closer to the rider or the ones that just raises them?

Edited by mossman77

The 230 cockpit is a bit small, there is a thread on this forum with the measurements and comparing it to other bikes, a good guide to help you plan mods and with examples of whatothers have done.  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/983931-handlebar-position-interesting-numbers/?hl=%20footpeg

As far as engine braking it can be reduced by increasing idle speed a bit, I  do that on other 4Ts to reduce braking stalls and stalling at low speeds. 

Thanks for the link.  Sounds like the consensus is more height and moved forward if anything (not backward).  I think I'll start out with some 1.5" risers and see how it feels.  At this point, my intention is strictly to be able to stand on the bike without having to reach so far.  I'm just starting out so I'm not riding aggressively and the trails I ride and are pretty tame (no jumps, steep hills, etc.).  Also sounds like the bars should be kept in-line with the forks to preserve caster/stability.  Could I achieve the same thing by using the stock clamp without risers and just get some higher bars (e.g. pro-taper)?  I'm looking for a simple bolt-on solution that isn't going to require any retrofitting.  Looks like the bike in this add just has new aftermarket (Pro Taper) bars.  This looks like a good height.  http://www.2040motos.com/Honda/CRF/2006-honda-crf-230--253420/.

What are the benefits of getting an aftermarket triple clamp as opposed to just risers?  Stronger connection/better durability?

Edited by mossman77

I just measured the stock bars and compared the measurements with the Pro Taper CR low, mid, and high. All three versions will give me more height, and the CR high will give me just about the same height as installing the 30mm risers I just ordered. So, would it be better to just get a CR high bar and not use risers? Of course that would mean getting new grips and transferring over the clutch and brake, but if it's worth the trouble then I'm fine with the extra time and effort. I have to admit though that installing risers would be so much more simple and quicker.

in my opinion the stock bar placement is all wrong...

here is a simple test, can you go from sitting to standing without requiring you to pull on the bars or reposition your hands ?

while standing (and riding some trial, are your arms completely relaxed?

if not the bars are not in the correct position.

I made my own risers that you can see here.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/282591-crf150230-pics-and-mods/page-36

look for a 230 that has "Briggs & Stratton" on the shrouds. 

if you would like a set please let me know.(its a simple bolt on)