ONLY 36 HOURS LEFT! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

HELP! 1990 Dr 350s All of my lights and anything electric quit working while riding

While riding today all my lights suddenly quit working. I wasn't off roading, just riding down the road and lost my head light, signals, break light, instrument cluster lights, rpm gauge quit working. I checked the fuse next to the battery and it's fine, don't know if there is another fuse. The battery also held a full charge. Have no idea what to check next. Please help, any insight would be appreciated.

Mo

Check the relay by the battery. You can also check the power side of the socket of each light to ground to see if you have a bad ground.

See there it is, just sitting in my driveway. Any suggestions? 62 people have looked at this and only my man Rotax has helped any. Lets go dudes, daylight is burning!!!!

1401118744431.jpg

If you have power, & a good ground, its either a relay,switch, or wire issue. Personally I would toggle the ignition switch back & forth with the light switch on & see if it may be an ignition switch fault. Make sure all your fuses are good too.

Ok dudes. I was riding today without lights and noticed it smelled like sulfur or rotten eggs. My lights also came back on after a little while of smelling like sulfur. I can see the battery is leaking just slightly. My question now, is this an over charging issue? Or just an old battery. One is on the way regardless as the old one is clearly bad. I'm just nervous whatever caused it burn out will happen to the new battery.

Last time I had the sulphur / egg smell I ignored it and carried on with my journey. I got home with a totally cooked battery, regulator / rectifier, and most bulbs popped. I'm not sure if a stuffed battery caused the regulator to fail or visa versa but when one goes the other can do too. It also cooked my GPS tracker which I never replaced - shortly after the bike got stolen... But yeah if your battery is fried then check the regulator - they're really cheap and easy to replace and it's often cheaper to get a higher rated one than an original DR one, fresh battery too. I'm not sure if I'm right or not to suggest also checking for a bad short as that could possibly put enough load on the battery & regulator to wreck them?..

If there is a short have a looked around the headstock / steering - good place for trapping cables!

Swapped batteries and the old one looks like this. Pretty shitty. I replaced it even though it still holds as good as charge as the new one. All my lights and what not were working great for about 30 miles. Now I'm back to square one. I have no idea where to look for a short in this beast or even if that's my issue. Stator? Frustration is setting in.

1401384065496.jpg

To be honest with you. Idk how to read this weapon. Is this where my charge should be?

1401384336905.jpg

Replaced the voltage regulator and the sonofabitch still has no lights. I'm growing very frustrated. I would think my next step would have to be checking connections? Which I have no faith in myself doing. I called a local Suzuki dealership, he was reluctant to talk to me for two minutes but he said a headlight relay or a ignition switch? Dunno what or where either of those are or how to check them.

It's very possible that the uncontrolled voltage from the old VRR burned out all the bulbs. What's the charging voltage now?