Sign in to follow this  

what size shim for new head set-up is typical?

very new at dirt bikes much less working on them. I am going to install all new head except buckets. what size shim am I expected to use on a new set up? is it just trial and error until I reach spec? thx.

Edited by brandonshepherd

On the IN side I usually end up around: 180 - 200

On the OUT side around 240 - 260 

But I'm not sure that this is typical, it's what I end up after valve replacement.

It's going to be tial, but never error. lol. just start with the shims you have , as long as there not zero'd out and measure your clearance and calculate what you need.

What exactly does it mean when people say "zeroed"? Does that mean that the shim required to get lash in spec is below the minimum available, 1.20 IIRC

no, it means the valve clearance is at zero or holding the valve open, should try a much smaller shim, or if your cheap and can flat grind the shim, grind it thinner then measure to calculate which shim you will need to buy.

Sorry MD, I was writing while you posted.

Edited by bucket list

I know the answer is going to be it depends but when the valves start moving is it generally seat wear, valve contact wear or stem stretch?

THANKS!

In that case is there any harm in nursing a few more hours out of the head after reshimming? How many times is too many? I assume you don't want to be at the small side of the shims for too long.