Sign in to follow this  

CRF100 or 125 for my 10 year old?

My 10 year old sons are 4'8 and about 82#. I got them a CRF80 last week and they love it, of course. They reach the ground with the balls of their feet securely, heels about 2-3" off the ground. Of course they are growing fast.  The idea was that once I figured out if they both wanted to ride I would add a second bike. I would like a few opinions. One of the boys has taken to it much more quickly, shifting through all the gears comfortably, downshifting pretty well, no noticeable fear of the power, etc. I am thinking of moving him up to a CRF100F or 125F. My two concerns: 1) Are either too much power to give a kid of this size who has ridden for such a short time? 2) Is the extra 2" of seat height on the 100 something I should be concerned with if he does not mind being on his toes for a while? He is a highly confident kid, sometimes overly confident. I feel like the 100 will last him longer. I also like the fact that it has such a long track record. Either would serve as good upgrades when my other son is ready for a move up. The poor kid is destined for hand me downs I am afraid.

My 10 year old sons are 4'8 and about 82#. I got them a CRF80 last week and they love it, of course. They reach the ground with the balls of their feet securely, heels about 2-3" off the ground. Of course they are growing fast.  The idea was that once I figured out if they both wanted to ride I would add a second bike. I would like a few opinions. One of the boys has taken to it much more quickly, shifting through all the gears comfortably, downshifting pretty well, no noticeable fear of the power, etc. I am thinking of moving him up to a CRF100F or 125F. My two concerns: 1) Are either too much power to give a kid of this size who has ridden for such a short time? 2) Is the extra 2" of seat height on the 100 something I should be concerned with if he does not mind being on his toes for a while? He is a highly confident kid, sometimes overly confident. I feel like the 100 will last him longer. I also like the fact that it has such a long track record. Either would serve as good upgrades when my other son is ready for a move up. The poor kid is destined for hand me downs I am afraid.

My wife is 5'2" and fits the 100 perfectly, she just can't corner worth a crap!, LOL.

024-M.jpg

"WARNING" Be careful, you could end up looking like this, LOL.

IMG_0152%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Edited by Brewster Two

"Be careful, you could end up looking like this, LOL."

I am pretty sure that is where I am heading. Did I mention my 12 year old daughter wants in on the action too?!

"Be careful, you could end up looking like this, LOL."

I am pretty sure that is where I am heading. Did I mention my 12 year old daughter wants in on the action too?!

Yeah, my 29 year old Son got engaged last month, I went out and got my new daughter in law this 2000 XR200R. I went through the bike completely and its now "Mechanically Sound". The idea of dying in the middle of the desert due to a "stupid" mechanical failure is not something I'm willing to accept, so I've done all I could. These bikes are as dependable as the day they left the factory (I hope). I'm just working on its appearance now (I'm overly ANAL) and I'll have a Baja Designs light kit on it in a week or so.

I just LOVE these XR's !! (obviously).

IMG_0154%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Edited by Brewster Two

Any more input to the size concerns would be appreciated. Thanks!

The 125 would be the way to go. He'd grow into it.

You can't go wrong with a 100 and three kids. Buy a nice used one and let them go still it. When they get a bit bigger and start to ride well then look at bigger bikes.

Don't buy bikes your kids need to grow into.

Lowering link for the 125 helps

Larry as you probably know the 100 and 125 big wheel are the same size.  I doubt there is any additional power to weight advantage on the 125.  I recently bought a CRF70 and CRF80 and that little 70 can keep up with the 80 no problem.   Whenever my son outgrows the 80 I plan to put 100 suspension on it to raise it an inch or so.

A friend has an xr80 and xr100 and it is about 2 inches taller.  Otherwise, pretty much the same bike.

Larry as you probably know the 100 and 125 big wheel are the same size.  I doubt there is any additional power to weight advantage on the 125.  I recently bought a CRF70 and CRF80 and that little 70 can keep up with the 80 no problem.   Whenever my son outgrows the 80 I plan to put 100 suspension on it to raise it an inch or so.

A friend has an xr80 and xr100 and it is about 2 inches taller.  Otherwise, pretty much the same bike.

I can second this....other than size there is very little difference between the CRF80F and CRF100F.  I owned both bikes when kids were learning.  I used the CRF80F for my youngest son  when he was about 4'10 to 5' 0".  The CRF100F I used as a starting bike for my daughter who is 5" 4".

If your sons are the same size and touching the ground on their toes with the CRF80F...no reason to move up yet.  Now...if you want one for move up bike size wise....or for your daughter later on that could work.  I always tried to have a progression plan for my three kids.  Started with CRF80F, CRF100F, CRF150F for 3 different sized kids. Figured they might each move up to the next larger bike.   Ultimately turned out like this:

• Youngest Kid:  CRF80F --> YZ85 --> stopped riding after getting scared and hurt.  I probably should have just moved him to sister's CRF100F when she moved up  - but he was the best rider of the 3.
  • Middle Kid (and biggest):  CRF150F --> WR250F He is a fairly timid rider and will be awhile before he needs to move up beyond this bike, but he needed the full size adult bike because he looked like a gorilla riding the CRF150F.
  • Oldest Kid (daughter):  CRF100F --> KX100 --> KDX200.  Now loves two strokes - I dont think will ever go back to 4 strokes due to higher weight.

You might wait until your most aggressive kid is outriding the suspension and brakes on the CRF80F and then make the jump to a more powerful bike, but the right size.  That might be something like a KX85/KX100, KTM 85/KTM105, RM85/RM85L, CR85R/CR85RB, YZ85, CRF150R/CRF150RB.  The 19"/16" wheeled bikes like the KX100 work for someone about 5' 4".  The 17"/14" wheeled bikes (like the KX85, RM85, YZ85) work for someone who is about 5' 0"-5" 4".   Unfortunately, there really isnt a offroad version for any of the more powerful minis and these are a pretty big step up in power and they are built for motocross racing which isnt ideal if you are trail riding (one rare exception is the KTM 105 XC which are not very plentiful).

EDIT:  I reread your initial posting and maybe the CRF100F makes good sense.  The more aggressive rider could ride that one simply because he is more confident (e.g. he doesnt panic because it is tougher to touch the ground).  Sounds like that CRF100F could make a decent move up bike for your less aggressive son when he grows taller.

I can second this....other than size there is very little difference between the CRF80F and CRF100F.  I owned both bikes when kids were learning.  I used the CRF80F for my youngest son  when he was about 4'10 to 5' 0".  The CRF100F I used as a starting bike for my daughter who is 5" 4".

If your sons are the same size and touching the ground on their toes with the CRF80F...no reason to move up yet.  Now...if you want one for move up bike size wise....or for your daughter later on that could work.  I always tried to have a progression plan for my three kids.  Started with CRF80F, CRF100F, CRF150F for 3 different sized kids. Figured they might each move up to the next larger bike.   Ultimately turned out like this:

• Youngest Kid:  CRF80F --> YZ85 --> stopped riding after getting scared and hurt.  I probably should have just moved him to sister's CRF100F when she moved up  - but he was the best rider of the 3.
  • Middle Kid (and biggest):  CRF150F --> WR250F He is a fairly timid rider and will be awhile before he needs to move up beyond this bike, but he needed the full size adult bike because he looked like a gorilla riding the CRF150F.
  • Oldest Kid (daughter):  CRF100F --> KX100 --> KDX200.  Now loves two strokes - I dont think will ever go back to 4 strokes due to higher weight.

You might wait until your most aggressive kid is outriding the suspension and brakes on the CRF80F and then make the jump to a more powerful bike, but the right size.  That might be something like a KX85/KX100, KTM 85/KTM105, RM85/RM85L, CR85R/CR85RB, YZ85, CRF150R/CRF150RB.  The 19"/16" wheeled bikes like the KX100 work for someone about 5' 4".  The 17"/14" wheeled bikes (like the KX85, RM85, YZ85) work for someone who is about 5' 0"-5" 4".   Unfortunately, there really isnt a offroad version for any of the more powerful minis and these are a pretty big step up in power and they are built for motocross racing which isnt ideal if you are trail riding (one rare exception is the KTM 105 XC which are not very plentiful).

EDIT:  I reread your initial posting and maybe the CRF100F makes good sense.  The more aggressive rider could ride that one simply because he is more confident (e.g. he doesnt panic because it is tougher to touch the ground).  Sounds like that CRF100F could make a decent move up bike for your less aggressive son when he grows taller.

Great insight. I put him on a 100 and he is on his tip toes. Is there a practical way to bring the 100 down 2 inches in seat height? If so I could move back up when he grows 2 inches. 

Edited by larryt