Sign in to follow this  

Washington ATV rider dies in crash at Soap lake

No matter how many laws are passed you can't legislate common sense into people. From what I heard this accident was on private land anyway.

Yes....private land, but still NO helmet.

Joe

I don't know why but this seems to be the mentality of the ATV rider, no gear, no helmet, and high speed. Oh and let's not forget they own the parking lot. :facepalm:

You don't want anyone to lose their life, and this is sad,  but come on people, at least stack the deck in your favor.

• Like 1

A simple fall while walking can kill you. A fall from 1 foot higher on a MC is a greater risk and then add in speed it becomes much more dangerious. You would think that years of medical information about head injuries would cause everyone to wear a helmet while riding.

Horse folks traditionally don't wear helmets but a friend spent a week in intensive care from head injuries when her horse spooked on a trail and she fell off, she now wears a helmet while trail riding. 

I rode by the Tacoma trail cruisers private club property yesterday and two kids were ripping around, One with a helmet and One without. :thumbsdn:

Lots of quadtards in CF, yesterday.

Sad to hear a 23 passed away, but how can we clarify to the public these people riding quads without helmets are not the same as us? They are making us look bad because people group us together.....I'm at a loss on the solution.

Sad to hear a 23 passed away, but how can we clarify to the public these people riding quads without helmets are not the same as us? They are making us look bad because people group us together.....I'm at a loss on the solution.

Honestly, I'm not sure you do.  The non-riding public doesn't have enough at stake in the situation to distinguish the two groups.  To confuse matters more, there are plenty of bike riders out there without helmets riding around with passengers around the campfire/neighborhoods.  I've done it; I bet most of us here have at one point and we got away with it, obviously.  For me, I just feel badly for the deceased and especially their family.

• Like 1

why don't the states that allow riding without a helmet have horrible track records vs those that don't? :excuseme:

Stop saving me from myself

• Like 5

You ride with a helmet Slacker :-)

Not always....and as soon as I hit the border of a free state, I take it off if I'm on my V-twin.  I just don't think adults need someone else making that decision for them.  Under 18, sure, but I'm against legislating it as law for adults.  Last thing I need is some do-gooder ranger giving me a ticket for it.

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 2

Not always....and as soon as I hit the border of a free state, I take it off if I'm on my V-twin.  I just don't think adults need someone else making that decision for them.  Under 18, sure, but I'm against legislating it as law for adults.  Last thing I need is some do-gooder ranger giving me a ticket for it.

Well said. I don't think we as Adults need to be regulated in every facet of our lives. We should be able to figure this stuff out on our own.

The problem is that there are many people unlike yourself, that have NO insurance. And we the public end up paying for them when they crash with no helmets. Or else I could care less if they split their head open for being jackasses!

• Like 1

Isn't Freedom all about making choices about our own safety and welfare? Anything other is  contrary to why we had a Revolution to separate from England and the structure of our Constitution.

• Like 1

The problem is that there are many people unlike yourself, that have NO insurance. And we the public end up paying for them when they crash with no helmets. Or else I could care less if they split their head open for being jackasses!

We all pay for stupid people anyway, either they can't feed their own children or they dont work for a living, we pay for way more hand outs than injured motorcyclist.

• Like 1

considering all the stuff I have to pay for anyways, I'm not going to start trying to make a difference there.  I gotta theory anyway...I think helmets 'create' vegetables that cost more to take care of....I'd rather just clean them up.

• Like 2