HRC tuner notes on 2011 CRF450R. No need for a 350 here!

I race the A class in the pacific northwest, tight gnarly single track. Most guys race 2 strokes ( I have one too), and some are on 250/350 4 strokes, very few guys on 450's. they seem to be too much for our tight conditions.

If you race in open conditions desert/california etc these mods will not likely interest you.  If you race true tight single track in the deep woods, deep mud, ruts, rocks, roots, 30 inch handlebars and barkbusters, then read on!

A few riding buddies have 350's I had been thinking of trying one myself.  But, My CRF450R is lighter than the current 350's offered, I feel the Honda has better suspension and handling.  I already own that bike, so I thought, I have to be able to make this thing woork, I started testing......

HRC Tuner: 

(1) I set the fueling as reccomended by Dave Simmons (leaner just off idle, rest is stock) the flame out is completely cured, the bike starts easily/perfectly and runs awesome now! also noticeably better MPG in tight trail.

(2) I retarded the ignition by 2 degrees right across the spectrum (not the starting block or idle block, they stayed stock).  Look at the graph option on the ignition advance screen, it shows the safe range of adjustment available,  then I decided to retard the ignition advance to the max safe retarded setting for the lower rpm range, as revs go up, teh max is 2 degrees retarded.  The bike now is very easy to ride in nasty stuff, it feels like a 300 off idle, 350 in lower mid to mid-range 450 upper mid-range to top end.  All the power, is there, just twist it, it very smoothly and predictably pulls more and more aggressively as the rpm's climb.

I was intimidated by the HRC tuner, till I messed with it for an afternoon.  It is so easy to use, the changes you can create are massive.  It takes me about one minute or so to remap the bike now.  Very quick and Easy!!! The parameters of what you can do are basically idiot proof, it will be hard to blow up your bike, just stay within the recomended range of possible settings.

I can quickly and easily turn the bike from firebreathing monster to a tame trail weapon with a click of the computer and the HRC tuner.

I also added the 17 oz fww  even MXA reccomended this mod for the track, love it offroad.

13/50 gearing, it works great, not too abrupt, still great top speed, I tested all the way up to 13/53 all that gearing did was encourage me to bog around a gear too tall, that invited flame outs.  With 13/50 I now always ride in the proper gear, rpm will be up a little more, much reduced chance of a stall too.

I also have a G2 throttle cam system: use the 400 cam for nasty races, 200 or 300 cam for easier more open events.

I now feel my 450 is easier to ride than a 350 off the bottom and mid, and stronger than a 350 mid to top.  Plus the bike has that great 450 torque that no 350 will ever be able to match.

My opinion, don't be afraid of the tuner.  It is very easy to use.  If you spend a little time learning how to tune your bike with the HRC tuner, your bike will become very versatile and you will be able to make it perfome over a very broad range, like a 350 up to a 450 with a few clicks of a mouse.  I feel I now have a light 350 with better torque and much stronger pull on top.

Edited by stroker
  • Like 4

So did you pay the $300-450. For the tuner kit or did you just buy the cd and get a plug to work?

I spilt the cost on it with a buddy that has a CRF250R.  We paid about $150 each I think??

I spilt the cost on it with a buddy that has a CRF250R. We paid about $150 each I think??

Nvm I found the link to make my

Own plug n all. Appreciate it tho. Now I just have to get my hands on a 2011 cd hmmm...

You know I think it's pretty shity everybody talks Eddies remap up and it brought the flameout issue out of My buddies bike instead of curing it. Anyways I'm gonna try this, appreciate it!

Edited by Diggla117

I have a '12 and HAD a '11 350, and although they are similar in physical weight, the 350 feels a lot lighter when riding it vs. the crf. If I were riding single track I would have kept the 350 and sold the crf for sure, but I ride mostly mx so I kept the crf. But that is cool that you able to make what you have work for you, instead of forking out $9k for a new bike for sure. 

I have 2 regular riding buddies that have 350's and we swap bikes a lot.  one guy is a very gifted AA rider with an aggressively set up stiff 350sxf (he gets free bikes), the other guy is a good "A" rider with a more civilized conventional setup.  The CRF450 is lighter than the 350, When you pick them up, move them around the shop, the 450 feels/is lighter.  Once in motion on the trail, most 450's feel bigger and heavier due to their massive boost,  the 350 felt a bit lighter due to the smaller less powerfull engine, especially off idle and lower rpm.  When the 350 starts to rev high rpm's they get a heavier feeling too. (physics at work again).

I agree that on a stock bike, the additional HP of the 450 adds a "feel" of additional weight, but, when you detune the engine, the bike really feels a lot different, and it feels like it loses weight too.  Sort of a wierd physics thing happening to the weight "feel" when you subtract the violent acceleration right at the crack of the throttle!!  For faster guys in open terrain, I would say not the right mod, but for anyone in tight trail, or people that do not need the full boost of a 450, but like the longer service intervals a 450 can offer over the smaller bikes, then I have to say the calmed down set up really works well for its intended application!!!!  When I am heading to the track, I just click the suspension stiffer and hook up the HRC tuner, full boost again and stiffer suspension for airtime.  Total time to do this? just a couple minutes! very versatile bike!!!  

Edited by stroker