Sign in to follow this  

gear down 2013 drz400s for trails...

If i change out my sprockets on my suzuki  2013 drz400s to the drz400e sprockets will if make first gear alot slower for rocky trails? Right now first gear will run right to 30mph it seems its too fast, causes stalls and no running balance. So will changing out the sprockets fix this?

My friend uses a 12 on the front on the trails. He said he saw there is even an 11 available now. He switches the front out depending what kind of riding we are doing. Bigger front for longer, back road hauls. He is 57 and dominates the trails on that drz.

• Like 1

If you dont do a lot of highway commuting I would try a 47 or 48 rear sprocket. I run 15/48 and its great in the tight trails and has lots of grunt but you can still ride it on the road. Its comfortable crusing up to around 90km/h but it will pull 100-110 for short highway bursts if you need it to.

huh, 14/47 seems like it might be a good compromise, i like going fast on freeways, but i hate not being able to tippy toe through trails, 14/50 sounds awesome but im sure i would hate the street then, decisions, decisions wish i could have it all lol

• Like 2

huh, 14/47 seems like it might be a good compromise, i like going fast on freeways, but i hate not being able to tippy toe through trails, 14/50 sounds awesome but im sure i would hate the street then, decisions, decisions wish i could have it all lol

If your going to go 14/47 try just replacing the rear. I ride some pretty technical stuff and still usually ride in 2nd gear. 14/47 might be nice in the woods but maybe too low for street riding. But I havent tried a 14 front so I dont know for sure.

what do you run barker? when im on rocky trails with stock gearing im having a tough time in first, another question, will any sprockets do? was looking at the steel jt sprockets on thumpertalk store. The aluminum ones were significantly higher in cost.

• Like 1

I like 15-47.....works great for trails, but still isn't too low for the street. Even that gearing probably won't work on the freeway tho......you're between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 3

think im just going to gear for trails, want to be able to tear em up, as long as my bike functions on the street im happy, will lower gearing increase wheelie power too?

• Like 2

I run 14/44 and it pulls great on the trails! Much more rideable in the tight trails and hills! Tops out at around 88mph at little over 9k rpm! Just remember to do the loctite mod if you switch front sprockets!!!!

Edited by Decil Moto
  • Like 1

15/47 and 14/44 are roughly the same...I'd recommend leaving the stock 15 front as anything smaller has the propensity for trying to eat up your swingarm.

• Like 2

15/47 and 14/44 are roughly the same...I'd recommend leaving the stock 15 front as anything smaller has the propensity for trying to eat up your swingarm.

Agree.....the rear sprocket costs more, but it looks better! And for sure get steel.........last longer  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

what do you run barker? when im on rocky trails with stock gearing im having a tough time in first, another question, will any sprockets do? was looking at the steel jt sprockets on thumpertalk store. The aluminum ones were significantly higher in cost.

I run 15/48 and love it for rocky slow tight trails. Still has lots of gear left when you get to an open section and then you can ride it home on the street. I think with the 14 up front you might loose too much streetability? Maybe not. I would try the 15/47 first before swapping the front to a 14. I think it will be what your looking for. I havent ran into a trail that I couldnt do with the 48 rear but many times when I had the stock gearing I found it much too high.

Also definately get the steel sprockets. Cheaper and they last longer. You shouldn't be worried about dropping a couple of ounces on a 300 lb bike anyway haha.

• Like 1

The CR ratio gearbox of the DRZ is always going to be a compromise if your switching between on and off road...

IMO....The only way to deal with this is install the ActMan wide ratio gears.....You can keep your low 1st gear,and have low rpm highway speed .... ...

Ultimately some performance upgrades will make it better with the widened ratios (2nd to 5th)

• Like 1

The CR ratio gearbox of the DRZ is always going to be a compromise if your switching between on and off road...

IMO....The only way to deal with this is install the ActMan wide ratio gears.....You can keep your low 1st gear,and have low rpm highway speed .... ...

Ultimately some performance upgrades will make it better with the widened ratios (2nd to 5th)

The ACT gears would be great but not everyone has the $600 to buy them ( yet :D ) and some people wouldn't try putting them in so add another few hundred bucks for a shop.

The cheaper and not as convenient way would be to swap rear sprockets. I can fit 15/44 and 15/48 on the same chain. So for longer on road and highway runs I can throw on the 44 and for just commuting to the trail and tearing it up in the woods I can put the 48 back on. Not so ideal if you want to do both on the same trip... unless you carry a torque wrench and spare sprocket with you and pull the rear wheel when you get to the trail haha.

15/41 or 15/39 for just street

14/47 is the go-to ratio for mostly dirt

15/47 is the best 50/50 compromise gearing i've found

14/53 is the best single track i've found

just personal experiences, after checking gearing commander to see what speeds were available. the single track ratio is not something you want to ride on a highway (55mph) let alone interstate, ever

also, heed what others are telling you about going smaller than a 14 front. it -will- eat your swing arm slider, and eventually the swingarm, very quickly. 

15/41 or 15/39 for just street

14/47 is the go-to ratio for mostly dirt

15/47 is the best 50/50 compromise gearing i've found

14/53 is the best single track i've found

just personal experiences, after checking gearing commander to see what speeds were available. the single track ratio is not something you want to ride on a highway (55mph) let alone interstate, ever

also, heed what others are telling you about going smaller than a 14 front. it -will- eat your swing arm slider, and eventually the swingarm, very quickly. 

I'd agree with this, I run 14/44 just because thats how I got it, is decent for fire roads etc, and it does ok at 65mph highway speeds, not sure about freeway, I avoid that myself. 14/47 has crossed my mind (im older n slower :) )