Filling DRZ400 coolant properly?

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm serious!  I've looked up how much coolant a DRZ needs, and it seems it's about 1.5 quarts or so. Well, our new-to-us DRZ needed a new radiator (PO had an off and it bent the bottom hose tube) so we completely emptied the system. However, when it came down to putting it all together and filling it back up, it seems like I could barely get half a quart into the system!  :doh:

I unscrewed the small nut atop the left side radiator to bleed out air which did help with burping initially, but I know for a fact that I don't have more than a quart in there. I'm pretty sure we drained the entire system, but could there be some we didn't flush out? I've tried teetering it side to side (hoping air bubbles would flow through the tubes), squeezing the rubber hoses, even tried (failed  :bonk: ) to add more coolant to the overflow tank in hopes it would suck it up as needed. 

There's a consistent level of about an inch in the overflow container so I'm not TERRIBLY worried, but I did my first round of canyon carving this morning and the engine was a hot mess beneath me (granted, 90* outside with speeds topping 75mph indicated), and the new FMF Q4 is a bit blued. So I worry about overheating.

Should I be worrying so much? As long as there's some coolant in the overflow container once it's cool again, I'm good right? My other concern is that the PO used Engine Ice (I didn't realize what it was until too late  ? ) and, thinking I'd flushed out everything by taking apart the radiators and draining the crank case, I put in the green Suzuki coolant. Should I flush the entire system (properly this time, distilled water and all) just to be sure?

It's alright if you tell me I'm being paranoid. ? It's just that my first DRZ (still in pieces awaiting parts) imploded on me within a couple weeks of ownership, and I do NOT want this to happen again. 

• Like 1

Lady electric , you may still have had some fluid in the cylinder . But if you used the bleeder and rocked it from side to side , then it should be full . I have never used the bleeder , I just put the filler at the highest point by leaning it to one side . Then I fill it , rock it and top it up , radiator is now full , greg

Lady Electric

Regarding bleeding the system , if you remove the Rad cap and start the motor , just " Blip " the Throttle and you will see air bubbles rise to the surface .

Sounds like you drained the system , if you have coolant in the recovery tank you are fine .

I use a syringe to add a small amount of coolant into the recovery tank , if I'm not happy with the level .

• Like 1