Sign in to follow this  

necessary to apply grease to the air filter?

After servicing the factory, foam air filter in the XR400R.... 

(cleaning in kerosene, washing in soapy water, rinsing in clean water and drying, soaking in F.F.T and re-installing),

I spoke to my friendly work colleague, who also is a 30 year yamaha mechanic, and he reckons I need to pull it out and apply a film of engine or bearing grease to the filter where it meets the plastic air box to help prevent un-filtered air entering the engine.

It makes perfect sense to me, but after fluffing around for 20 minutes trying to mount the filter in the correct place i`d rather not.

Just wondering if anyone else was as pedantic as me old mate Barry..?

It does help seal it up there and while it might not be actually "needed" in a lot of cases, better safe than sorry. Put some on next time you clean it. I wouldn't pull it back off to do it.

Edited by michigan400

I I wouldn't pull it back off to do it.

I would. Besides, if it's taking 20 minutes to refit the filter, he needs the practice.

• Like 1

Grease it! A tip: roll the bike where there is plenty of light and take off the seat, so you see what you are doing. The metal clip should be installed inside the airbox, pull it to the rear, then insert the filter via the filter door, not letting it touch the carb side (not to smudge the grease). Insert the filter center into the metal clip nip, hold the filter straight and let the metal clip push it right into position. Try to twist a little the filter CW and CCW, just to make sure the filter is around the positioning lips. Simpler than it reads, good luck!

It makes perfect sense to me, but after fluffing around for 20 minutes trying to mount the filter in the correct place i`d rather not.

Switch to NoToil or UniFilter oil & cleaner. You'll never go back to using kerosine to clean the filter. So much nicer.

Do not use gasoline to clean filters. If some gas is left behind and the bike backfires, filter fire.

I use a UniFilter, oil, and cleaner. Since the UniFilter uses closed cell foam on the rim lip, rather than open foam, I am tempted to skip the grease, but choose to use NoToil rim grease to be safe.

Yes, test the filter after installation. I try to slide it up and down, left and right. If properly installed, it wiggles, but does not move.

A good small flashlight is handy for working on bikes.

The best stuff I have found that cleans the filter completely is low odor mineral spirits that you can buy at chinamart in the paint section.

TOOK THE SEAT OFF, applied the grease, and re-installed with-in 2 minutes.

Man, removing the seat makes it a lot easier. My service manual didn`t inform me of this tip.... ahhhh... gotta love the internet.

Kerosene stinks out your shed, thats for sure...  

Took it for a burn this arvo into one of the many local forestry areas and shes all good my friends... all good. So much fun!!

the old XR isn`t the lightest of beasts though is it??? but.... plenty of grunt.... 8-)

Thanks.

I do It but my area is hella dusty but if you live somewhere wet with hard packed dirt I doubt it is necessary