Sign in to follow this  

Your apocalypse Bike choice?

Simply comment your bike choice or give some reasons why you would choose that particular bike and how it would benefit over other models or brands. Maybe one has parts easier to come by, or another may be easier to maintain. A bit of harmless fun but also a good way to gain a little knowledge on the ups and downs of some bikes as i believe even without the apocalypse some of the ups and downs would still be relevant for purchasing purposes etc.  :facepalm:

I would likely go with a DS. I had great luck with my 2008 Kawasaki KLX 250. Bike had roughly 20k miles on it without any issues. Drove it through a bridge (literally) and the bike had no issues mechanically besides a broken headlight and gauge mount. Tough bikes.

946812_10150289596994986_832756131_n_zps

Edited by chazzon
  • Like 2

I would likely go with a DS. I had great luck with my 2008 Kawasaki KLX 250. Bike had roughly 20k miles on it without any issues. Drove it through a bridge (literally) and the bike had no issues mechanically besides a broken headlight and gauge mount. Tough bikes.

946812_10150289596994986_832756131_n_zps

dam! glad to hear your still alive!! nice pic  :thumbsup: the klx sounds tough as nails, i had a klx 125 when i was way younger and it was a good bike exept the power.

dam! glad to hear your still alive!! nice pic  :thumbsup: the klx sounds tough as nails, i had a klx 125 when i was way younger and it was a good bike exept the power.

It was certainly a learning experience. I wish I took a picture before I cleared the bike. The middle where the bike is looked like overgrown trail. Was zero sign of a drop. Got lucky that I let go and face planted on the edge..lol 

I found the bike was certainly on the "weaker" end for a 250DS. However if we are talking apocalypse durability this would be my pick. Very simple bikes to work on, and tough engines and parts. 

• Like 1

I've actually had this discussion with like-minded riding buddies in the recent past. A "bugout bike" would be pretty useful if you have some pre-stocked location you could get to and wanted to avoid roads which I garentee will quickly become unusable if something big went down.

I have to say a Honda XR400R would probably be my top pick. Lots of obvious reasons:

- Aircooled fourstoke (no coolant/premix to worry about)
- Carburated
- Mechanically simple and very durable (will go years/100's of hours on a topend, try that with your 250 4T mx'er)
- Still decently new-ish ('04 was the last year for them in the U.S., lots of low hour garage queens still out there if craigslist is any indication).
- Decently lightweight (in comparison to just about any dualsport)
- Decent suspension (again comparing to dualsports)
- Stock they are super quiet, could probably be made even better with some muffler improvision and heavily wrapped headers.

A XR250R would be a close second, though....little better mileage and maybe a touch less weight. I'd take the 400 over it though since I'd probably want the extra power as I'd be loading the bike down with at least 120-150lbs of weight excluding the rider. I'm thinking some type of rack setup welded to the subframe that would hold a couple of 5 gal jerry cans mounted like a set of saddle bags plus a couple of bags over the front and rear fenders.

• Like 1

I've actually had this discussion with like-minded riding buddies in the recent past. A "bugout bike" would be pretty useful if you have some pre-stocked location you could get to and wanted to avoid roads which I garentee will quickly become unusable if something big went down.

I have to say a Honda XR400R would probably be my top pick. Lots of obvious reasons:

- Aircooled fourstoke (no coolant/premix to worry about)

- Carburated

- Mechanically simple and very durable (will go years/100's of hours on a topend, try that with your 250 4T mx'er)

- Still decently new-ish ('04 was the last year for them in the U.S., lots of low hour garage queens still out there if craigslist is any indication).

- Decently lightweight (in comparison to just about any dualsport)

- Decent suspension (again comparing to dualsports)

- Stock they are super quiet, could probably be made even better with some muffler improvision and heavily wrapped headers.

A XR250R would be a close second, though....little better mileage and maybe a touch less weight. I'd take the 400 over it though since I'd probably want the extra power as I'd be loading the bike down with at least 120-150lbs of weight excluding the rider. I'm thinking some type of rack setup welded to the subframe that would hold a couple of 5 gal jerry cans mounted like a set of saddle bags plus a couple of bags over the front and rear fenders.

i just purchased a 400, piece of mind for me  :ride:  i would have to say it would be one of my top choices to!

New KLX450. Simply because I could swap all the stuff that my current bike has been outfitted with. It's gonna suck when I have to retire this one and grab another brand bike just because Kawi won't let me have a new one. Treehuggers blow.

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 1

200 would be good for fuel! but i ges there would be thousands of gallons in abandoned cars anyways

And you could let it sit in a car for a few years and chances are an xr would still just run on it.

Hell use that dirty oil that's been sitting to. An xr don't care

• Like 1

I don't know If you guys have ever seen this bike but I believe it is called the klr650 military. I have a good friend that is in the swat in my area and they just ordered 2 of these. They run on anything u put in them (diesel, unleaded, alcohol, moonshine) and although they look big and bulky, they too out at 110mph. This would be my bike of choiceImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401107514.694187.jpg

• Like 1

And you could let it sit in a car for a few years and chances are an xr would still just run on it.

Hell use that dirty oil that's been sitting to. An xr don't care

agreed!!

I don't know If you guys have ever seen this bike but I believe it is called the klr650 military. I have a good friend that is in the swat in my area and they just ordered 2 of these. They run on anything u put in them (diesel, unleaded, alcohol, moonshine) and although they look big and bulky, they too out at 110mph. This would be my bike of choiceattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401107514.694187.jpg

this is new to me. cool!!!

• Like 2