Making drz400s more enjoyable on Highway.

my drz400s has 14/48 gearing atm. I want it to be able to cruise at 110 km/h without any issues... but I also dont want to lose the pull I get when I crack open the throttle.

best recommended gearing anyone? I was thinking 15/47.

Also this is a bone stock 05. (mods to come shortly)

I ride my SM on the highway all the time with stock gearing.

It's no speed demon on the highway but will still pass cars easily.

110 km/h is no problem at all for a stock bike.

The 3x3 airbox mod and a re-jet of the carb makes the throttle more responsive and acceleration better.

A good seat helps for the long rides. The stock seat will wear you out in no time.

Heated grips are nice for colder climates but they aren't very comfy (plush).

If you plan on doing long trips, the drz tank is bit on the small side (10 liters, 7.5 liters to the reserve).

If you are nice to the throttle, 50 mpg is no sweat for the drz going 110 km/h.

If you want to blast along at full throttle/top speed, expect 36 mpg.

• Like 2

Any tips, common mods or parts required for making the Z a little more highway worthy?

15/41 sprockets & Pirelli MT90's or Continental TKC80's.  The TKC80's are a bit more dirt (50-50) oriented but do surprisingly well on paved surfaces.  I'ts the best 50-50 tire I've found yet.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

my drz400s has 14/48 gearing atm. I want it to be able to cruise at 110 km/h without any issues... but I also dont want to lose the pull I get when I crack open the throttle.

best recommended gearing anyone? I was thinking 15/47.

Also this is a bone stock 05. (mods to come shortly)

By gearing, I think they mean the ACT wide gear set, to replace the transmission gears.

• Like 1

I watched the vid on the act gear, the metal they removed on the pivot points of the shift forks didn't look bad , but then when they had to cut half way into one of the forked forks, that's quite a bit. No thankyou

• Like 1

Any tips, common mods or parts required for making the Z a little more highway worthy?

imo its just not a highway bike, get in the slow lane and enjoy the scenery is my best tip if you have to get on the interstate .. you could put a 38 rear sprocket on and a tall 130,140/90 rear tire on if its going to ba a normal routine to jump on the highway but i would get another chain with it, cuz you'll need a shorter one, so you can switch back to your other gearing .. then you could probably cruise easy at 70ish without beating your engine to death .. you wont want to cruise faster than that on any open bike without a fairing for any length of time anyway the wind will kick your behind ..

.. another tip that may not be for everybody, but i like the rear spring relaxed a bit for street, so when you sit on it it goes down about 2-3 inches more than normal .. rides alot better ..

Edited by cowpie