Sign in to follow this  

Tip for shorter legged fellas

Me, I'm 6'4 and resemble a hairless sasquqtch. My riding buddy Tom, 5'7 and short legs make a challenge for him not only getting on/off his dizzer, buthis bike is also the kicker model, which presents even more challenges when you are stalled and can't put kickstand down. I've been on him for some time to get a comfy, low seat made. I also suggested he crank down the shock spring and raise the forks up in the triple trees. He had to be all hard ass about it for the last year and struggle at traffic lights, etc. This weekend I finally convinced him to try it. Voila!! Changed the man's life. That's what id do! Lol. He can now have more confidence riding, stopping, and ease saddling up. Says he should have listened all along...it's fine, some of us are slow learners.;) Hell, he can even kick it now off the kickstand. So, for you guys struggling, it might be worth a try. We ride our bikes hard, some intense terrain, and yesterday he put it to the test to see if it affected his suspension, a click on the rebound and he said it's never handled so good. So, there ya go, a little tid bit from Uncle Shawn that might make your riding world a little more enjoyable. Oh yeah, he also got the Seat Concepts low seat.

• Like 4

Me, I'm 6'4 and resemble a hairless sasquqtch. My riding buddy Tom, 5'7 and short legs make a challenge for him not only getting on/off his dizzer, buthis bike is also the kicker model, which presents even more challenges when you are stalled and can't put kickstand down. I've been on him for some time to get a comfy, low seat made. I also suggested he crank down the shock spring and raise the forks up in the triple trees. He had to be all hard ass about it for the last year and struggle at traffic lights, etc. This weekend I finally convinced him to try it. Voila!! Changed the man's life. That's what id do! Lol. He can now have more confidence riding, stopping, and ease saddling up. Says he should have listened all along...it's fine, some of us are slow learners.;) Hell, he can even kick it now off the kickstand. So, for you guys struggling, it might be worth a try. We ride our bikes hard, some intense terrain, and yesterday he put it to the test to see if it affected his suspension, a click on the rebound and he said it's never handled so good. So, there ya go, a little tid bit from Uncle Shawn that might make your riding world a little more enjoyable. Oh yeah, he also got the Seat Concepts low seat.

1401108721868.jpg

• Like 4

Even in SM trim its still a tall seat height (35'') for me at 5'9 so i know its hard for him at 5'7,  glad its better for him now.

His DRZ is kick start only?

• Like 1

Even in SM trim its still a tall seat height (35'') for me at 5'9 so i know its hard for him at 5'7, glad its better for him now.

Yes, believe it or not, that clean ass ride is a 2001 model. Kick only. Was a bitch for him in the nasty terrain when he stalled. Had to have kickstand down so he could stand on pegs to kick this monster. Not good. Now he puts foot down and can kick it. You should try it. He's up with the forks about 3/8" and rolled the spring down about 1/2". Made such a big difference. Ez to do as well.

• Like 2

Even in SM trim its still a tall seat height (35'') for me at 5'9 so i know its hard for him at 5'7, glad its better for him now.

Im only 5'4 and the only way i could ride a drz is lowering it 2 inches with lowering links and raising the forks. And i can still only get the of one foot down( thats if i scoot to one side ) but its all worth being able to ride.

Im only 5'4 and the only way i could ride a drz is lowering it 2 inches with lowering links and raising the forks. And i can still only get the of one foot down( thats if i scoot to one side ) but its all worth being able to ride.

*the ball o one foot*
  • Like 3

*the ball o one foot*

Love it,  where theres a will theres a way,   lol,  i think thats how it goes.

• Like 1

I'm 5'10" and have a 30" inseam. whether or not you can have your feet on the ground when sitting on a bike has nothing to do with your height, but with your inseam.

Step #1 is to get a different seat, I have a Corbin seat (put on by previous owner), and that lowered the seat height by 2". He even had to raise the bike by 1". I can almost put my heels down in my riding boots (Sidi Armada).

If it is still too tall, then try a 1" lowering link, then try a 1.75" lowering link. If you install a lowering link, remember to adjust the front forks at the same time.

Me, I'm 6'4 and resemble a hairless sasquqtch. My riding buddy Tom, 5'7 and short legs make a challenge for him not only getting on/off his dizzer, buthis bike is also the kicker model, which presents even more challenges when you are stalled and can't put kickstand down. I've been on him for some time to get a comfy, low seat made. I also suggested he crank down the shock spring and raise the forks up in the triple trees. He had to be all hard ass about it for the last year and struggle at traffic lights, etc. This weekend I finally convinced him to try it. Voila!! Changed the man's life. That's what id do! Lol. He can now have more confidence riding, stopping, and ease saddling up. Says he should have listened all along...it's fine, some of us are slow learners. ;) Hell, he can even kick it now off the kickstand. So, for you guys struggling, it might be worth a try. We ride our bikes hard, some intense terrain, and yesterday he put it to the test to see if it affected his suspension, a click on the rebound and he said it's never handled so good. So, there ya go, a little tid bit from Uncle Shawn that might make your riding world a little more enjoyable. Oh yeah, he also got the Seat Concepts low seat.

I am getting a seat concepts low seat and I am interested in these other mods to the shock spring and forks.  Is that someting I can do fairly easily at home, or best for my local bike shop to do?  I do not know if I need a spring compressor or other specialty tools.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Love it,  where theres a will theres a way,   lol,  i think thats how it goes.

Usually I find where there's a will, there's a won't :D

• Like 2

I am getting a seat concepts low seat and I am interested in these other mods to the shock spring and forks. Is that someting I can do fairly easily at home, or best for my local bike shop to do? I do not know if I need a spring compressor or other specialty tools. Any advice would be appreciated.

The forks are easy. Simply loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamp and let the forks slide up in the clamps 1/2-5/8" or so. Retighten pinch bolts. Don't over tighten. For the rear shock spring you need to read up on setting your sag.

• Like 1

Yeah, kicking on the kickstand is not cool.  I did it for a while and then realized that I was bending out my kickstand frame mount tab and had to kick at the kickstand when up to bend it back in close to the swing arm.