Sign in to follow this  

DRZ top/bottom end build

Hi guys, after moving to the DRZ from a ninja 636 i have to say im enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would! Im just looking for a little bit more poke

So after several months of digging various forums i've come up with a parts list:

Athena 440cc BB

Hot Rods +4 Stroker

FCR39mm

Stage 2 Hot Cams

MRD Exhaust

FMF Snap (Although not sure if its worth the price tag)

3x3 mod

Im looking for a little bit more clarity on a few questions i have left over; is the stroker crank 'bolt on' and go? and i cant remember if i saw somewhere that the athena comes with a E base gasket? and last, is anyone able to provide a rough idea of what power i can be expecting to get?

First post so go easy!!

Hi guys, after moving to the DRZ from a ninja 636 i have to say im enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would! Im just looking for a little bit more poke

So after several months of digging various forums i've come up with a parts list:

Athena 440cc BB

Hot Rods +4 Stroker

FCR39mm

Stage 2 Hot Cams

MRD Exhaust

FMF Snap (Although not sure if its worth the price tag)

3x3 mod

Im looking for a little bit more clarity on a few questions i have left over; is the stroker crank 'bolt on' and go? and i cant remember if i saw somewhere that the athena comes with a E base gasket? and last, is anyone able to provide a rough idea of what power i can be expecting to get?

First post so go easy!!

Look at the cylinder works 94mm BB kit for better value and a quality product.

The 4mm Hot Cranks stroker crank is an OEM replacement use OEM style 3 ring pistons.. installer still needs to check deck clearance... but it should be fine.

The base gasket supplied with a BB kit (steel coated please, no paper) will likely be a three layer S/SM version... which you can split if you want the slightly higher CR of the E

Look at the cylinder works 94mm BB kit for better value and a quality product.

The 4mm Hot Cranks stroker crank is an OEM replacement use OEM style 3 ring pistons.. installer still needs to check deck clearance... but it should be fine.

The base gasket supplied with a BB kit (steel coated please, no paper) will likely be a three layer S/SM version... which you can split if you want the slightly higher CR of the E

Ive looked at the Cylinder Works kit before now but it appears to come with a standard piston, rather than a high comp piston that comes with the athena

Is the money saved worth the 11.3 vs 12.4 comp performance ratio?

Ive looked at the Cylinder Works kit before now but it appears to come with a standard piston, rather than a high comp piston that comes with the athena

Is the money saved worth the 11.3 vs 12.4 comp performance ratio?

Marketing and nonsense

Neither comes with a High compression 13:1 piston ( that I have ever seen, if you have a link to either kit containing a High CR 13:1 piston please post)

DRZ400S and SM (and late year E). 11:3:1.....and for the early year E, some non US market E still, and the Kicker the CR is 12:2:1 

The ONLY differences is the base gasket,, one layer for the higher compression, three layers for the lower CR. 

The Piston is exactly the same. 

You want the higher compression and the kit comes with a 3 layer base gasket,, pup the rivets out, separate the layers, toss the uncoated center one and use one of the coated layers.. save the other gasket for your next build or send it to a friend. 

• Like 1

Hmm then maybe i've missed something.. why would the two below be advertised at different CRs?

Athena - Advertised at 12.4:1

CW - Advertised at 11.3:1

Marketing.. Still

Read the post above for explanation 

Or choose to ignore what some guy on the internet is saying and accept the sales pitch.  :thumbsup:

Marketing and nonsense

Neither comes with a High compression 13:1 piston ( that I have ever seen, if you have a link to either kit containing a High CR 13:1 piston please post)

DRZ400S and SM (and late year E). 11:3:1.....and for the early year E, some non US market E still, and the Kicker the CR is 12:2:1 

The ONLY differences is the base gasket,, one layer for the higher compression, three layers for the lower CR. 

The Piston is exactly the same. 

You want the higher compression and the kit comes with a 3 layer base gasket,, pup the rivets out, separate the layers, toss the uncoated center one and use one of the coated layers.. save the other gasket for your next build or send it to a friend. 

i just popped the rivets as said in FAQ. worked perfect :thumbsup:

Im sure youre right no doubt, I just like to understand things :confused:

Wiseco 'High Comp' Piston - im sure youre about to again prove me wrong, but what is this then?

Im not very fancy with all this engine stuff, I am however very good with computers! Are you saying the base gasket makes all the difference between the 11.3:1 and the 12.4:1 ratios as shown?

Wiseco 'High Comp' Piston - im sure youre about to again prove me wrong, but what is this then?

Im not very fancy with all this engine stuff, I am however very good with computers! Are you saying the base gasket makes all the difference between the 11.3:1 and the 12.4:1 ratios as shown?

as Erik stated its just marketing. have learned the same reserching for myself. you will be happy with the quality of the cylinder works kit! and its cheaper :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Im not very fancy with all this engine stuff, I am however very good with computers! Are you saying the That is  the difference between the 11.3:1 and the 12.4:1 ratios as shown?

That is completely different then the BB kits you have been talking about.

NOW you're asking about a Wiseco replacement piston.

Part Number 4796m09450 from Wiseco is in fact a Higher compression piston for use with the DRZ motor.

When used with a single layer base gasket it is supposed to be at 13.5:1 compression ratio. 

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?AppID=&ItemID=4796M09450&ModelYear=&ModelID=

Again... the ONLY difference in a OEM application or aftermarket replacement piston between the 11.3:1 CR and 12.2:1 CR is the base gasket.

If the aftermarket company is advertising a 13.5:1 CR, that would be a different designed piston.

If the company is advertising a "High Compression" piston or kit, and then showing 12.x:1 or less CR...  they are confused or just looking to market something that is nothing. 

The CW piston with an single layer base gasket works out to be 12 to 1. The stroker is worth .8 in extra compression so you end up with 12.8 to 1 or so. I CCed my motor with a 96mm piston and 4mm crank and it's right at 14 to 1.

Stage 2 hot cams are going to be pretty hard to find so I'd look for a set of cams with at least a 270 degree advertised duration. Web 540s maybe. The Eddy cams worked well if you can get a set. They were long duration and a shorter lift so they're easier on the valve train.

*bump*

Thanks for the help guys, i guess ill just get the CW kit and sale myself 1/3 of the price :)

Its also quite hard for me to find any other cams other than the stage 2's in the UK... So ill just stick with these

Another quick one, with all the above upgrades would i benefit more from getting an FCR 41 rather than a 39?