Sign in to follow this  

What year KTM XC 2-Stroke

Hey Everyone-

I am in the market for a used KTM XC 2-stroke.  200, 250, 300 cc.  Interested in all engine sizes.  My question is what year range to shoot for.  I can not afford a brand new one.  I realize that newer is better, but is there a certain year you would not dip below?  Is there a certain year that something got better, so I should shoot for that or newer?

I have never had a KTM.  I know my brother has a 2003 KTM EXC and keeps breaking the clutch purch among other things.  I have read that older KTMs 2000 through maybe 2004 had some issues with toughness and reliability.  I want to get the most bang for my buck and don't want to find out latter that 2007s were terrible but the 2008s were great or something.

Sorry for the dumb question, but again, I am not familiar at all with KTMs.

I can probably spend around $3000 to $4000

Thanks!

Hey Everyone-

I am in the market for a used KTM XC 2-stroke.  200, 250, 300 cc.  Interested in all engine sizes.  My question is what year range to shoot for.  I can not afford a brand new one.  I realize that newer is better, but is there a certain year you would not dip below?  Is there a certain year that something got better, so I should shoot for that or newer?

I have never had a KTM.  I know my brother has a 2003 KTM EXC and keeps breaking the clutch purch among other things.  I have read that older KTMs 2000 through maybe 2004 had some issues with toughness and reliability.  I want to get the most bang for my buck and don't want to find out latter that 2007s were terrible but the 2008s were great or something.

Sorry for the dumb question, but again, I am not familiar at all with KTMs.

I can probably spend around $3000 to $4000

Thanks!

If I were you I'd go 05-07 or 08-11.

I like my 2010, but Ive also seen a much older KTM demonstrate it was solid and reliable.

Personally I'd buy any year if the price was right and I had money to buy it with.

For the XC models it's basically ever 2 years they revised the frame and suspension along with other small improvements.  Some in between years they made some small changes but the big ones in your price range are 2006, 2008 and 2010.  I would suggest finding either a 2008+ or a 2010+ XC model.  The 200xc was discontinued in 2009 so you if find a 2010+ 200 it will be a xc-w.

Edited by kan3

A 2011 here would run around $5000ish still.