Sign in to follow this  

2013 450 Sx-f Won't Start

Help! After driving 4 hours to my local race yesterday I woke up, geared up and went to start my bike. Nothing. So Angry. Missed the whole day of racing. Background Info:

2013 Ktm 450 Sx-f

44hrs

Had this problem in Cali a few weeks ago as well. Went to push the button, nothing. Put booster cables on it because I thought it was the battery, nothing still. Clicked it into 1st gear and rolled it back and forth. The FI light goes on and the fuel pump pumps fuel (I think thats the noise it makes). A few weeks ago if I press the button a whole bunch of times while rolling it back and forth I can get it to finally engage and start???! Talked to the local dealer, he said to replace the battery, it is weak. So I did. Raced a local race, all was good. Until yesterday. At one point in the morning I managed to do the rolling back and forth thing and it started ince. Thats it. Now its totally dead.

So, Where do I start? I removed the front number plate, rad shrouds, fuel tank and checked all visable wires. Everything looks good. Where do I go from here??? Any help would be great. Thanks

Help! After driving 4 hours to my local race yesterday I woke up, geared up and went to start my bike. Nothing. So Angry. Missed the whole day of racing. Background Info:

2013 Ktm 450 Sx-f

44hrs

Had this problem in Cali a few weeks ago as well. Went to push the button, nothing. Put booster cables on it because I thought it was the battery, nothing still. Clicked it into 1st gear and rolled it back and forth. The FI light goes on and the fuel pump pumps fuel (I think thats the noise it makes). A few weeks ago if I press the button a whole bunch of times while rolling it back and forth I can get it to finally engage and start???! Talked to the local dealer, he said to replace the battery, it is weak. So I did. Raced a local race, all was good. Until yesterday. At one point in the morning I managed to do the rolling back and forth thing and it started ince. Thats it. Now its totally dead.

So, Where do I start? I removed the front number plate, rad shrouds, fuel tank and checked all visable wires. Everything looks good. Where do I go from here??? Any help would be great. Thanks

What exactly happens when you push the start button, a click, or just dead silent?

If just silent, check the start button or behind the front number plate for damaged cables. If you hear a click every time you push the button, it is the start engine that has given up, or parts of it. The magnets inside the starter engine is damaged, thats why it can start if you move the bike in gear (rotate starter engine a few cm)

Read it again, sure sounds like it is the starter engine. Then you should be able to get it started by moving the bike in gear back and fwd until the starter engine rotates enough to get out of the dead spot.

No click or any sound when pushing the button.

Is there an electrical test that can be done to the starter motor? Use an Ohm meter?

Another suggestion I received was to check the exhaust valve clearances. If they are out the auto decomp will be affected which will disable the starter. I'm going to start checking every wire and using dielectric grease on every connector. And I will check the valves as well.

No click or any sound when pushing the button.

Is there an electrical test that can be done to the starter motor? Use an Ohm meter?

Another suggestion I received was to check the exhaust valve clearances. If they are out the auto decomp will be affected which will disable the starter. I'm going to start checking every wire and using dielectric grease on every connector. And I will check the valves as well.

Start with disconnecting the connectors of the start button behind the front number plate, then use a piece of steel wire bent like a U and insert it so you close the loop on the cable going towards the bikes starter engine, and see if the bike starts. It is a 12v circuit that is closed when you hit the start button and thereby sending power to the starter engine so it is a 1min test. If you can, do measure the voltage on that same spot. Then you will see if the bike actually send power to the starter engine. You can also measure between the Red (+) cable going into the starter engine and ground (-) somewhere on the frame and see if any power goes to the starter engine.

My bet is on the start button being defect, or possibly a cable damaged. One of my cable was peeled of behind the front number plate, you have to remove the protective plastic from the cable to see it. So when moving the bike around it sometimes made contact and worked, sometimes it didnt.

Valves @ 44h seems very far off. Mine have ran 140h pretty hard MX (450 SXF 2013), and have never been adjusted

• Like 1

I found it. There was a break somewhere in the wires from the button to the first connector behind the front number plate. Using a jumper wire in the connector fired the bike. So I took the button apart, checked out fine. So I did a resistance test on the wires themselves and they were both broke, I don't know where because visably they are fine.

Thanks for your help!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Oh, and on the valve clearances at 44hrs. Both exhaust valves are too tight and one intake is too tight. So I will need to adjust shims.

• Like 1