Sign in to follow this  

What year of 250sx to buy?

I am new to this forum and tried to search the forum for the answer. 

I was curious if any of you would know first hand the difference the year of the bike makes.  I have been doing research on sx 250's. 

Will  the average rider feel any difference between  a 2003  250sx to a  2006 250sx  to a 2014 250 sx  in the suspension and handling.

I will mostly ride on trails but I will get on the track once in awhile.  I have read all the reviews I could find but they are done by professionals and they make it sound like they change a lot.

If it makes a difference I would not have a problem spending the extra money for a newer model that handles better.  If it doesn't make a big difference I would just look for a nice used bike.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Kellermw

Not much difference between my 05.5 250SXF and 09 250SX. Both pretty poorly suspended bikes stock.

In my opinion the 12+ SX models are the ones to get if you are gonna get one because they switched to a linkage. And yes the average guy will appreciate the better suspension.

I almost wound up with a 14 250SX but got a YZ250 instead.

Edited by MXRider72

I don't know about 03, but my 09 had a bigger hit than my 13 YZ does. It was a fast bike in that regard, but it wasn't close to the same handling league as the Yamaha.

However KTM did lose some power when they went to a linkage as the airbox routing wasn't a direct shot like the PDS bikes.

Edited by MXRider72

Well, I bought a use 2012.....rode it pretty hard this weekend on trails and love it.  I will look into a different seat as the factory low seat is a little too hard for my taste.  Thanks for the advice.