rev limiter? on 11 drz400

pick-up the bike from a dealer. I would think they would have check it out before i pick it up. will have to drop the carb bowl and see.

if you just picked it up, i would take it back if possible

• Like 1

pick-up the bike from a dealer. I would think they would have check it out before i pick it up. will have to drop the carb bowl and see.

Buying a used bike from a dealer just means youre paying a premium. They dont do squat but i would call them and try to get it fixed, if not it sounds like a problem with the carb being clogged
  • Like 1

Are you blipping the throttle and hitting the limiter, or out riding? These bikes can rev pretty high but when they hit the limiter, they lose power almost immediately. Easiest fix is to shift at a lower RPM, even if you're only at a half throttle. Listen to the revs, not by how much throttle you're turning.

Now, if you're getting to half throttle and the power BOGS, loses power past a certain throttle point, that's a different story. Could be the stator, could be fuel/intake/carb related. The bike's from the dealership right? Take it back and make them fix it would be my advice, especially if you only just recently got it.

5th gear I can get to 55 mph and then it feels like my old drag bike on the 2 step rev chip. will stop by the dealer after work tomorrow. I have never had a jap bike before. so not sure how they do things. just does not feel like a fuel problem. 

5th gear I can get to 55 mph and then it feels like my old drag bike on the 2 step rev chip. will stop by the dealer after work tomorrow. I have never had a jap bike before. so not sure how they do things. just does not feel like a fuel problem. 

Whatever the issue, a newly purchased bike should perform better than what you have got atm

You would need to be running 11-58T gearing to hit the rev limiter at 55....Which I doubt..

Highly unheard of, but it could be a bad CDI if it's cutting out at the same rpm in every gear...

It's more likely to be fuel delivery related, as it's probably been sitting at the dealer's shop choking up on Corn Juice for a while..

Edited by Craigo 485sm

took bike back to dealer yesterday. they pulled the carb bowl off did not not say much. they wanted to keep the bike over night so they can fix the problem as they said. so they drove me home. will call me today they said when its done. we shall see how it goes.

The electronic rev limiter is 10,000 but on the stock bike the power curve is pretty flat after about 8000.  The trade off for the tons of tractable power and torque down low is a bit less up top.  The headpipe size gets the blame/credit for the lack of revs/more torque.

Still, some guys are riding California freeways at 80mph.  Unless the gearing has been radically changed for off-road it should not rev out at 55mph.

If the jetting is off either because of a plugged jet or someone putting in the wrong size, then once it gets completely onto the main the performance will suffer.  Too big is just as bad as too small.

Remember, stock this  bike is about 32hp.  A drag bike it is not.  It is fun, nimble, reliable, and fuel efficient.