Sign in to follow this  

Very sad again please help

So i was at the track for the third time, I went for a double step up for the third time (i cleared them flawlessly twice) since I cleared them on the amateur track with no issue. I think my foot was draggin the back brake and I did a nose dive. I did a front flip over the bars. Bike hit me in the back and I got pretty banged up. Now my front wheel is crooked. Thing is idk how to tell if my forks are crooked. I took off the front fender to see if that threw me off and then used the motion pro fork true to see if they were still parallel and I believe they are. I took off the front wheel to check the bearings, they work good. The axle bolt looks straight. I'm wondering if something else is bent in the wheel or if it is the forks or trees. I aligned everything straight and looked down from the upper clamp cause I do know the bars are bent with the wheel off. My back brake is also dragging now too. Please help.

1. Loosen the front axle clamps, and the axle nut. 

2. Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts. 

3. Grab a handfull of front brake. Pump the forks up and down several times, pushing them as far down into the travel as you can. You'll feel the action get smoother as the tubes re-align themselves. 

4. Tighten the triple clamp bolts first. Use a torque wrench. Over-tightening these bolts by even a small amount distorts the tubes slightly, which will cause the bushings to pinch as the forks compress, causing a harsh mid-stroke spike in the fork action. Over-tightening these bolts by a lot will break the clamps. 

5. Tighten the axle by holding the nut and spinning the axle with a hex socket on a torque wrench. This will ensure that the axle is perfectly aligned in the forks. Always use a torque wrench. Over-tightening the axle will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

6. Tighten the axle clamps.

This method will ensure perfect fork tube alignment, which will in turn ensure correct front wheel alignment. If the wheel and fork tubes are still mis-aligned after this, then either a fork tube or a triple clamp is bent.

If you have rubber bar mounts, make sure they are tight and straight as well.

• Like 5

1. Loosen the front axle clamps, and the axle nut.

2. Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts.

3. Grab a handfull of front brake. Pump the forks up and down several times, pushing them as far down into the travel as you can. You'll feel the action get smoother as the tubes re-align themselves.

4. Tighten the triple clamp bolts first. Use a torque wrench. Over-tightening these bolts by even a small amount distorts the tubes slightly, which will cause the bushings to pinch as the forks compress, causing a harsh mid-stroke spike in the fork action. Over-tightening these bolts by a lot will break the clamps.

5. Tighten the axle by holding the nut and spinning the axle with a hex socket on a torque wrench. This will ensure that the axle is perfectly aligned in the forks. Always use a torque wrench. Over-tightening the axle will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

6. Tighten the axle clamps.

This method will ensure perfect fork tube alignment, which will in turn ensure correct front wheel alignment. If the wheel and fork tubes are still mis-aligned after this, then either a fork tube or a triple clamp is bent.

If you have rubber bar mounts, make sure they are tight and straight as well.

thanks Chokey now what about the rear wheel rubbing the brake?

Does it rub all the way around, or just in certain spots?

If all the way around, the wheel could be out of alignment, the brake pedal could have gotten bent, or the caliper mount could be bent.

If it's not continuous, the rotor probably got bent.

If all the way around, the wheel could be out of alignment, the brake pedal could have gotten bent, or the caliper mount could be bent.

I'll take a look some other time but I believe the wheel is probably out of alignment or the caliper mount is bent because I front flipped. But what I will do if the above method doesn't work then I'll take it to a dealer just to find out what's wrong with it for 85$ and fix it myself. Thank Honda for making all their forks for their two smokes compatible with one another.

Walk away from it for a couple days. Your karma is screwing with your common sense. Come back in with a fresh cup of joe and have another look. Start at step 1 again and go through it all. Dude I've seen bikes take some serious beatings...serious beatings. Not once with some heat, love and common sense was repairing it an issue. You may have tweaked some stuff but I'll bet the worst you did was bend bars or a rotor. Good luck and keep us posted. Yeah and if you're up and healthy enough to work on it....well let us just say chances are you will go down before the bike will.

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 1

Walk away from it for a couple days. Your karma is screwing with your common sense. Come back in with a fresh cup of joe and have another look. Start at step 1 again and go through it all. Dude I've seen bikes take some serious beatings...serious beatings. Not once with some heat, love and common sense was repairing it an issue. You may have tweaked some stuff but I'll bet the worst you did was bend bars or a rotor. Good luck and keep us posted. Yeah and if you're up and healthy enough to work on it....well let us just say chances are you will go down before the bike will.

alright I did what you told me to do and it straightened the wheel out a bit. It looks better but is still a little bit off. Handlebars and the clamps holding them are obviously bent a bit. I am taking it to a dealer tomorrow morning just for a diagnostic. I got my eye on some forks and triple clamps just in case on fee bay. Lesson learned: Always squeeze the bike with your knees and have your brake foot on the heel pointed up or out on the peg. Lol :[ can't wait to get riding again. I was impressed with myself how well I was doing for being at a track for only the third time. until I messed up a basic fundamental.