Sign in to follow this  

What's your cornering technique?

I am getting back into racing after a 15 year hiatus. My weakness has always been turns, I guess I've spent too much time riding the road. Please detail your technique, even the simplest tips will be appreciated. Do you lean the bike and sit more upright? On the road you lean into the turns and I think that habit has been carried over to my dirt riding and causes me to slide out. Even the slow riders could out turn me when I raced. Thanks!

I don't wanna come off like a jerk, so I will let you know that I am asking a few legit questions here.

We need more info... What bike and what type of riding? There are sooo many variables such as the layout of the corner (IE: flat, rutted, sand, rock, banked etc.) your riding style, what bike you are riding, the terrain, etc. 

• Like 1

I raced a 426 a few years ago but now I am on a CRF 250. It's not the bike it's me. I never had any problem with air, whoops, etc but I always lost time in the turns and that's where you lose races. Do you guys lean the bike and sit more upright or lean into the turns like you would on the road? Turning in General is my problem but I avoid ruts like the plague, I never could stay in them.

Edited by mdwsr

The biggest thing I see with new riders is their transition from braking to cornering is wrong. Many new riders will be standing up on a straight away, then sit down, then hit the brakes. This puts their weight too far forward while braking and offers little control while coming into the corner. As mentioned, it completely depends on the corner, but most of the time if you are standing on the straight before the corner you want to stay standing and lean back while getting on the brakes, then as you are starting into the corner you want to start leaning, move your body forward, and sit down all in one fluid motion. If done correctly you can transition from braking to using the throttle at the same time. It takes practice, but makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

Check out some of Gary Semics videos...  I watch them over and over... at the very least, they can jog your memory while riding and make u learn where your wrong.

And your greatest critic is yourself. or it should be.  You know what your doing wrong, so do it better... just slower...(me included)!!   smooth is fast, as they say.