XR 250R Oil Pass Line Banjo Bolts

Hi all.

I am finishing up a top end rebuild on my 1995 XR 250R. The three banjo bolts that connect the oil line to the engine, what is the trick to getting these lined up?

I marked the bolts where the opening is on the shank, but when I tried to line up the hole on the shank to the hole where the oil goes, I seem to have problems.

For two of the bolts, when I lined it up it seems to be somewhat loose. However, when I try to torque it another 360 degrees, it gets really tight halfway around. Since I knew it was too loose, I slowly torqued it around. Needless to say, I sheared one of these bolts and swore left and right. I ordered another, got it, and had the same problem. I ended up torqueing it down VERY slowly, and got them all somewhat lined up.

Has anyone else had this problem? Line up one way, it is too loose. Torque another full revolution and I shear the bolts. Such a PITA!

-Alex

Hey alex....I had kinda the same problem.....but I not actually sheared any of the banjos.....I just replaced the copper washers on the banjos and torgued them very little....and all worked out well after that.... (maybe I just got lucky) lol .........shrug...

Yeah when I torqued them very little I could see a gap and assumed oil would leak. I am happy I am being deligent but it makes me wonder why I was able to haphazardly torque down the same bolts on my 650L and still have oil flow haha

You don't have to line up the holes in the bolts in any particular position. There is space inside the line fitting for oil to flow around the bolt. Just torque to spec and you're good to go.

• Like 1

I have also broken one of these banjo bolts.  Does anyone know what size they are because I would like to order them from O'riellys and have it here by tomorrow. 

thanks