Sign in to follow this  

99 yz125 revving up but not wanting to go

hey I just got a 99 yz125, took it on a short ride first day and it ran perfect, day 2 went on another 30 min ride then came back to camp, waited about 20 min and went out again and its revving up, engine sounds great, I put it in gear and started rolling. it will move but wont get up and really move, same problem in all gears.. any help would be awesome

Sort of like a banana in the tail pipe? Check to make sure your muffler packing isn't blown and obstructing flow.

I once had a big chunk of built up carbon in the pipe come loose and block the stinger portion of the pipe.

I think I'd also pull the carb float bowl and make sure your jets haven't fallen out. Air screw also.

Edited by Trailryder42

it was in fact the clutch, the steel plates were worn out bad. looked like the guy who had it before only replaced the fibers. But in the midst of throwing it all back together I snapped one of the spring bolts well putting the pressure plate back on. come to find out the torque wrench locked up. Any recommendations on what I should do now?? besides test your tools before you rely on them 

Well you will need to take the other spring bolts, remove the clutch pack to get to the shank of the broken bolt to see if there's enough sticking up that you can get ahold of with vise grips or something.

And I suggest learning to get a feel for when something is tight enough and not leaving that judgement to a tool. A torque wrench has no gut instinct or little voice telling it "something ain't right here", as it continues to tighten a fastener until it snaps.