Sign in to follow this  

misdiagnosis!

I just bought a 93 xr 650l got a screamin deal on this bike it ran perfect, for about 3 rides off road , it starts misfiring totally sounding like carb issues went home and took the carb apart its steril , so next its saying to me that its the cdi because it just quit 4 or 5 times , so i googled symtoms and it brought me here and after reading and testing and reading and testing it seemed to be the cdi. i ordered one it came in i installed it guess what it was stil doin the same thing lol. turns out it was the spark plug when i checked the plug it showed a perfect burning plug so i dismissed the plug completely and cotinued my quest to spend 156.00 on a cdi... i learned my lesson for sure.

Well, many say you should carry a spare...I'm still trying to snag anyones old one to recondition.I really don't want to spend over a hundred dollars on a spare yet.

Edited by jjast

Well took it riding today I live in Ocotillo wells calif, it was over 100 degrees out and i rode the bike all afternoon down the endless roads full of whoops and climed all the hills i could find and it ran perfect not one thing acted strange except me loosing 20 pounds from sweating . Its my first xr650.  i sold my cr 500  and i not disapointed at all..

• Like 1

Well took it riding today I live in Ocotillo wells calif, it was over 100 degrees out and i rode the bike all afternoon down the endless roads full of whoops and climed all the hills i could find and it ran perfect not one thing acted strange except me loosing 20 pounds from sweating . Its my first xr650.  i sold my cr 500  and i not disapointed at all..

What you mean you dont miss having to kick start CR500? LOL 

• Like 1

Well took it riding today I live in Ocotillo wells calif, it was over 100 degrees out and i rode the bike all afternoon down the endless roads full of whoops and climed all the hills i could find and it ran perfect not one thing acted strange except me loosing 20 pounds from sweating . Its my first xr650. i sold my cr 500 and i not disapointed at all..

I'm sure.... the xr650 is a Cadillac compared to the cr500. Run my buddies and the engine was so nice and linear I was actually thinking of geting a pig.

Good trade you made for sure especially now its street legal. That bike will prolly run like a tank till you sell it.

• Like 1

a little tankish it is  but the suspension actually rides better than the Cr , I **** love the electric start !  On my old Cr 500 i broke 2 kick start levers and one day while not thinking clear i booted it over with a pair of vans on my foot was bruised so bad couldnt  put a shoe on for a week .  back to the xr it really eats sand i couldnt get it stuck went to superstition mt strait up sand dam it ran a little warm tho , im not complainin over all im happy with it not to bad for a measly 400 dollars 15,000 miles aftermarket pipe and new tires , plus two new pairs of boots an2 new helmets a cover .sorry about the rambling im just happy about my bike...

• Like 1