Sign in to follow this  

Yet another reason!

Once again my distrust of dealership mechanics is validated! I was picking up my fathers Harley from one of the major Harley dealerships in the area and while loading it into my trailer the mechanic informed me I was doing it wrong. Mostly out of curiosity I decided to humor him and asked what he suggested. He informed me that they always leave the kickstand down and pull it down against that to give it a more secure feel. I asked if they block the suspension when they do this and he said no. Does anyone else see a problem with this? 

I know this is not exactly dirtbike related but the concept is the same.

Seems to me it would just bang the kickstand.

You don't dare do this with a KTM. Kickstand almost falls off a KTM looking at it.

Lmbo

• Like 2

Harley? 

Light er on fire

Roll er down a hill

Tie it down straight. Leaning it on the stand is just asking for a tipover.

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with doing it that way.  I wouldn't correct somebody for doing it a different way either though.  I am a mechanic at a Harley Davidson dealership.  Now I don't know why a mechanic would be loading a bike because typically that would be a lot boy's job but okay.  I see our driver loading bikes like that sometimes and he has never had a problem or complaint in the 4 years he has been here.

Yep about the only thing I see wrong with this is ..."Harley"

Harley? 

Light er on fire

Roll er down a hill

OK some more funny chit from jeffdanger. 25 points on your man card.

• Like 2

He was not loading it, I was. He followed me out to tell me some of the things he took the liberty of replacing......at my dads expense. I may by wrong but seems to me that it would put a lot of force on the kick stand or attachment point when the suspension compresses. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Should pose no issue to the kick stand. Most are made pretty strong. Trailer'd all my machines over the past 8 years with kick stand down and never had one break. And that's about 10 bikes worth of testing lol

Once again my distrust of dealership mechanics is validated! I was picking up my fathers Harley from one of the major Harley dealerships in the area and while loading it into my trailer the mechanic informed me I was doing it wrong. Mostly out of curiosity I decided to humor him and asked what he suggested. He informed me that they always leave the kickstand down and pull it down against that to give it a more secure feel. I asked if they block the suspension when they do this and he said no. Does anyone else see a problem with this? 

I know this is not exactly dirtbike related but the concept is the same.

Perhaps it's standard operating procedures for dealers and insurance purpose. Who knows?  Who cares? I believe you can achieve the level of stability with the kick down transporting it to where ever you have to, however with the kick up, the strapped bike takes less punishment and rides on suspension alone. 

I can guarantee you if you do like me and load the bike (in my case dirt bike) on a 4x4, then do some 4x4 through trails to a campsite, that kick would probably break off or get damaged.

I would of just nodded and smiled. :prof::lol:

:devil:

• Like 2

Seems to me it would just bang the kickstand.

You don't dare do this with a KTM. Kickstand almost falls off a KTM looking at it.

Lmbo

So do the rest of the parts  :lol:  :p  I had to do it .

He was not loading it, I was. He followed me out to tell me some of the things he took the liberty of replacing......at my dads expense. I may by wrong but seems to me that it would put a lot of force on the kick stand or attachment point when the suspension compresses. Just my opinion.

HD kick stands do not have a solid pivot point. Now if the dealership really did decide to just start replacing parts without approval then you have a pretty strong legal case but I bet that's not what really happened.

Thats dumb. Anyone who thinks thats the way to tie a bike down is silly. If that was the way to do it even with motocross bikes we'd put the triangles in and tie them down leaning on them, thats just plain silly,