Sign in to follow this  

Crf puking coolant help!

So I have a 2010 250r it has a big bore kit on it . andwent to the track the other day, rode hard all day and at end of the day I pull off the track. Let off the gas and it just died. Then tried to start it and gray smoke was coming out the exhaust. I push it back to my truck, I let it cool down and checked all fluids and trans and motor oil were right on but my coolant was bone dry. I did not realize I was loosing coolant. It still has compression, but I hope I didn't grenade it! I was thinking a blown headgasket. Water pump operates fine. Nothing from weep hole.just seems like the bore kit is boiling the coolant over and puking out the over flow. I want to diagnose this first and get feed back from you guys before I just throw money at it you know? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Absolutely, but you won't know anything until you take it apart. It is possible to have a head gasket leak into the cylinder without contaminating the oil, but it is usually a small leak.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try to put some engine ice in it them try to start it, I'd it doesn't I'm gonna tear her down and take a look. Hope I didn't grenade it!!!!

The head gasket separates three things: oil, water and compression. If it fails you can have any combination of the three mixing. Most commonly it's compression into water as in your case.

• Like 1

Even though it has compression?

Yes, even a slight leak of compression into the coolant will cause it to overheat. You won't  nessesarly notice it with a compression test , but  when it's hot and on the power stroke theres huge pressure in the cyl. which will blow hot gasses into the coolant if the seal is not perfect/

• Like 2

Even though it has compression?

Think of it this way- a compression test shows about 180 psi, right? But when the fuel/air charge is ignited, it produces about 1500 psi at WOT. Obviously, the ignition charge is more likely to bleed a little bit of pressure into the cooling system with a leaky head gasket and you'll never see it on a compression test. 

Applying shop air to the cylinder via cylinder leak-down hose will usually show bubbles or a rising coolant level though. In addition, a combustible gas sniffer will detect exhaust gasses in the radiator. Most automotive and bike shops have this equipment, so if in doubt it might be worth a few bucks for a diagnosis.

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated. Tried to start it today pulled the plug and no spark. Plus its fouled wet and black. So its Def gotta be leaking. Shouldd I get a base gaskey as well? Also would over heating damage a plug? This is my first four stroke. Had it bout a year but this was the second ride after three heat cycles and break in